im stumped - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation im stumped

hey guys i have a 97 f350 7.3td that im having some troubles with. When i first start the truck the engine lopes really bad and just idles horrible but no smoke. If the truck is really cold then its next to impossible to start sounds like it only hitting one cylinder. I have to let it run for at least ten or so befor i can even get it to rev up. If i do press the pedal it will only make it up to about 2000 and it takes it along time still no smoke. Once it warms up some it will rev to 2000 well, but then it miss and sputters till about 2500 and blows white smoke through those revs. Once over 2500 it revs out the rest just fine. The truck seems to be missing abunch of power too. The truck never gets up to temp either not sure why. I have changed the fuel/air filters, cleaned the screen on the regulator, checked the fuel pressure 55psi at idel, pulled the valve covers checked the wiring, drained the tanks and refilled with new fuel, new cam sensor. There is no check engine light on. and when i do hook up a scanner to it makes the truck stall when it links to the computer but i had a similar truck a bit back that did the same thing with the scanners. any ideas guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Conservative and Proud

I know that starting mine when it's really cold, it's hard starting as well and will lope and even die. Have you tried plugging it in?

And someone else should be along soon to give some more ideas.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 AM
COLLEGE KID

Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
i also have a 97 F350, but i havnt had that problem yet.. Injector buzz test maybe?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

55 psi is a little low if you do not get white smoke when you are starting the truck then you are not getting enough fuel and it sounds like all injectors are not getting fuel so i would look into fuel being your problem and like banshee34 said try plugging it in although i think you have other problems then just that
Old 01-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it does start better when i park in the heated grage or plug it in. By no strech does it start right though it lopes really bad though kinda like chugging. It probally needs glow plugs/ controller but i really need find out what else is going on with it. I am sure that all the other problems i am having with it are not really to just glow plugs. but i will be willing to try.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke Diesel Enthusiast

The only thing I can say right now is that 55 psi isnt too low, its where it should be...ill be back to help you with more.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

What kind of scanner are ya using?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i cant think of the brands ive used two different ones both with the same results, like i said ive had this happen on another 97 i had awhile back. They are both standars obd2 and one is brand new this is only the second time i took it out of the box. i can get the brands if that helps.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok there are two connectors on each valve cover remove all of them and inspect them. if anything is wrong you will notice right away. they will be melted. this is caused from bad or loose glow plugs. if so you need an engine harness both valve cover gaskets all glow plugs and 4 uvc harnesses. very common.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

still cant explain the scanner thing but found that the all of the popett valves were worn basicly closed. but now i having trouble with the install of the injectors.
injector install help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.