HELP! 7.3L powerstroke, no power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! 7.3L powerstroke, no power

Good afternoon. I have been a long time reader of this forum, and have always found an answer to my 7.3l powerstroke issues, and for that I thank you. This is the first direct question I have to ask. Situation: Parked truck over weekend. Went to start truck on Monday, and it drove fine for 20 minutes, when I noticed a large volume of white smoke pooring out of the exhaust. I pulled over to investigate, and found that a rat had taken up residence in my air cleaner box, and there was a plastic bag completely blocking the airflow. Removed the bag and rat, and continued on, and everthing seemed to be okay. The next morning, I went to start it, and it seemed down on power. Drove it 10 more miles, parked it. Later that afternoon, I started it, but it has NO power under the pedal at all. It seems to idle rough, but it won't go 5mph downhill. In nuetral, I can get the RPMs up, but thats it. I drained the fuel, checked the air cleaner and flow. All seems to check out. The wires don't look chewed or any other evidence of rodent damage. Can anyone help???? Oh yeah, code reader produced no codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Jon

Where was he?

Under the filter or on top?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The debris was all pre-filter. I am pretty sure nothing got into the intake.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Banned

without a code i am guessing here...but my best guess would be under valve cover harnnesses came disconnected or partially disconnected. My reccomencation since it wont cost anything is to get those valve coversoff and inspect the harnesses....DO NOT disturb the valve cover gasket itself...get the valve covers off and carefully inspect the connector on the inside to see if it isnt fully connected to the gasket..
Old 09-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your looking at the front of the truck under the hood look down next to the battery on the right hand side if the hose from the cooler to the turbo has come off your turbo won't produce any boost make sure the hose is on tight the truck will run fine but no turbo.. i've heard this is common with the 7.3 and check to make sure the rat hasn't chewed through it also
Old 09-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Look for wires chewed by the rat, they seem to love them for some reason.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Performed checks Recommended

Just to set things straight This is my truck were working on. Just didn't have the access to speak to you guys yet. Thanks to your comments and sugggestions. Checked the connectors at the valve covers, pulled every sensor connector and looked for corrosion / replaced connection, ----Added some oil too just to fill it completly (so it was a little low). When we started this help process the truck would start but run rough and no power. Currently the truck bellows white smoke from the exhaust as we are cranking, but won't start at all now. Am going to have it towed to the house today, and rent a reader that hopefully will give me the killer code today. I'm going to replace the GPR also, because I did have small problems last winter here in NM. until I plugged it in each night, then never a prob. Gonna take all of next week off and work on this until I get it fixed (hopefully). I have downloaded the code book for PSD and generic. Again, Thanks for the help Will work until stumped and then ask...
Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 AM
Banned

actually take the valve covers off and inspect the connections under the valve covers.....
Old 09-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Will do, thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.