Anyone have similar problems with BWD injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Anyone have similar problems with BWD injectors?

Forgive me if this post is similar to another... I tried to search the forums for similar posts and found nothing regarding my problem with BWD injectors.

As winter rolled in late last year, I had problems starting my 2002 Ford F-350 7.3L powerstroke engine. The truck had around 232k miles on it.

I took the truck to several different mechanics... Basically, I would have to crank and crank the engine over and over again for 45-60 minutes before it would finally turn over. And then, it would finally crank after hooking up 2 sets of jumper cables from my other truck to this one. I changed the batteries (why not; they were under warranty). No change; so I had a mechanic change all my glow plugs. Still; same problem. When the truck was plugged in at the house, it would start up right away... no problem.

Finally, I took the truck into a mechanic who said I had two injectors "going bad" and he recommended I change all 8 injectors. Crap... not having a lot of money he suggested using BWD injectors... and here is where the fun really starts...

I picked up the truck from him the following day and ran it a couple of hours just to make sure every thing seemed to work okay. I then hooked the truck up to my 53' wedge trailer and starting driving a 600 mile trip. At 45 minutes into this trip, the engine light comes on, the engine stalls while I'm @ 70mph seconds later, and lots of white smoke starts coming from both under the hood and exhaust pipe. I thought the engine was on fire. Lucky, it wasn't.

After the smoke died down, I checked over the engine; nothing "seemed" wrong... fluids okay, etc... remember, I'm not a mechanic... tried starting the engine, which it starts right up and the white smoke starts pouring out the back of the engine. I turned it off. I then spend the next several hours on the side of the road "borrowing" a customer's car (to drive back home, get my other truck, pull the broke-down truck away from the trailer, re-position the trailer in front of the disabled truck, and then finally wench the darn thing onto my trailer).

I dropped off the truck the following day with the mechanic who installed the 8 injectors. After a couple of days, he tells me one of the new BWD injectors "stuck" open, dumping diesel fuel in the cylinder, which, I guess, burned a hole in the piston, which, from my understanding, resulted in fuel getting dumped into the turbo, where it passed into some sort of vent... that venting of diesel fuel onto the hot engine caused my white smoke.

Anyway, the mechanic sent the "bad injector" back to the auto parts store who, in turn, submitted a warranty claim to the manufacture. I'm told that I now need to replace the engine completely. The claim process takes 6-weeks to before hearing back... the manufacture wrote back stating they "tested" the faulty injector for "over an hour" in their lab and was unable to confirm that injector would stick open. Therefore, they are denying any warranty work on the damage to my engine other than the out-right replacement of that one injector.

Has anyone had a similar problem with BWD injectors and/or the manufacture claim process? I have been told by other mechanics that there is only one way to install an injector... and that if they were done incorrectly, that the truck wouldn't start or, if it did start, would run really ruff. The fact that my truck ran almost 4 hours (45 minutes w/ a large load) seems to suggest the problem did in fact result in an injector failure.

I'm not sure what to do next... anyone have an opinion about whether or not my damaged engine was caused or not caused by the newly installed injectors? And, if so, who is a fault... the manufacture (i.e., defective injector) or the mechanic (i.e., installed incorrectly)?

Thanks in advance,

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.