FUEL PROBLEM HELP | 2000 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FUEL PROBLEM HELP | 2000 7.3

I have a 2000 F250 7.3 PSD. Ok let me start off by saying that in December 2012 I had my fuel pump replaced and new fuel filter changed. This week, my truck has hesitated when and made a loud knocking noise as if it were running out of diesel and would slow down and shake when I would press this accelerator. So proceeded to change the fuel filter (which was black). How could this be?

Also after I put the new filter in and drove it again, it did the same thing. So I went to the gas station and put 14 gallons in, meaning that it wasnt empty, I have on 29 gallon fuel tank.

Please help me! Im confused and dont know what else it could be!? Also the water in fuel light is on, however I have ran many tanks of fuel through and it still stays on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 05:10 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

I have a 2000 also and can't understand how oil can get in the fuel to make the fuel black. It has the return in the fuel bowl and the heads are deadheaded, so no fuel flows back to the fuel bowl. It this a stock fuel system? No return lines run from the heads?
Water in fuel light could need a good fuel bowl cleaning. Open the bowl drain valve and see what is on the bottom of the fuel bowl.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdiesel7.3 View Post
Also the water in fuel light is on, however I have ran many tanks of fuel through and it still stays on.
But you Drained the water out each time - right?

Was there actually water in the fuel?

Another reason for a really Black filter in a short time could be that there's engine oil getting into the fuel (bad O-rings at the injector). Are you losing oil too?

It is also not uncommon for the pick-up, in the tank, to crack and cause you to "suck air" at around 1/4 tank...
Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I found the yellow valve and turned it but I do not hear any water coming out or the fuel draining what am I supposed to do now?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM

There is a 3/8ths metal tube, against the motor, over the top of the Ft. Pass tire. That's where the drain dumps the contents of the Fuel Bowl. Is nothing coming out when you open the lever?

If not, there is no fuel getting to the filter. Do you hear/feel the pump run when you first roll-on the key?

If so, drain it into a cup and look at the fuel for quality. Is it Black instead of clear/green? Are there water droplets at the bottom? Could it be All water?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

At first there was no fuel or water draining from it, so what I did was turned the motor on and open the valve and let it run for about a minute.

After the minute I looked under the truck and diesel was coming out.

So i closed the valve and shut the motor off. The light however, was still on.

What could be the problem there? Do I need to go drive it around and see what it does? Are there any other methods?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 AM

Have you been using engine oil lately?

Capture some of the fuel that comes out and see if it looks "clean" (the engine will run with that valve open? I had no idea... )

There could simply be something wrong with the water-in-fuel sensor maybe. Is it running OK now? Do you have a "Service Engine" light on, or has it come on recently?

It is also no uncommon to have particles in the tank collect on the screens in there so it runs OK for a little while then gives you trouble as you drive. Then, the system kind of "backflushes" as it sits and runs again for a bit.

If you have an SES light, and your kind of trouble, it's time for a professional scan (NOT the ones the Auto Parts Stores use) to monitor the sensors and see what's going on.

If you have No SES light, that's typical of poor fuel delivery BEFORE those sensors (tank pick-up/screens, pump, etc.)
Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

its running fine now... but the light is still on.. so im stumped there. And no the SES light has not been on, only WIF light has been. So ive been draining a few times and what seems to be only diesel is coming out.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM

That would mean to me, that the Element in the bottom of the fuel bowl is bad or the wire going to it is shorted. Why don't you unplug the Heater (same plug for the WIF) and see if the light goes off.

If it does, clean or replace the element.

If it doesn't, the wire/plug might be bad (I guess this could also be a PCM or Cluster issue too...)

I believe how the system works is, because water connects two points in the bowl with much less resistance than fuel, that light comes on when it senses a greater flow of electricity that it should in fuel alone.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM

Is the filter staying clean? Agreed with NoRalph but you never followed up with the filter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel, powerstroke 7.3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.