Truck won't start and making clicking noise when I turn the key to the on position - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck won't start and making clicking noise when I turn the key to the on position

I went out to start the truck tonight and when I turned the key to the on position to allow the glow plugs to do their thing (it's about 12* F tonight) I heard continuous clicking noises and the wts light was flashing off and on in unison with the clicking noises; also the digital mileage display was flashing off and on as well as some other dash lights. The clicking came from under the hood towards the center of the motor. When I tried to turn the key to start the truck, it didn't even try to turn over. Could this be a bad relay somewhere? Do I need to unplug the fuel heater? New batteries? Bad battery connection? Any ideas would be great I am in a motel two hours from home and I need to drive to work tomorrow!
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

I would clean the terminals the best you can make sure they have good contact, it should fire up. get some good clean metal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Member/MARINE

Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
Never heard one like that but I would suggest the above mentioned first. If not it might be your multi function switch. I will let the techs on here chime in as they have more knowledge on this.

Rob
Old 01-22-2008, 03:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

To me it sounds like a battery problem. You probably aren't just going to be able to clean the terminals. Especially that coldout. Last winter it was 12deg here i went out started the truck let it warm up for a hunting trip and then we got delayed (no heat in house) so I shut it off. I came back out 1hr later and had the same problem you describe, I had to replace both batteries.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies everybody! I ended up firing up my generator that happened to be in the back of the truck and plugged the truck in while I pulled the batteries and then got a ride to autozone and picked up a couple new duralast gold batts. Put em back in the truck and it fired right up. The batteries that I replaced were also duralast golds and the sticker with the date was from 2005 so they lasted about 3 years.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay Guys, Iv'e got the same thing happening except I have a charger on it and when I turn the key to the ON position it Cranks over and start's and after it start's it keeps cranking... I do have an aftermarket starter remote starter onit but I don;t think that is affecting it..
2003 6.0 CC SB
Old 02-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Living on a prayer

this morning at O-dark thirty without time to spare diagnosing, i had the clicking sounds when i turned the key to the ON position (letting the GP's warm up), and flashing wait to start light, etc. then, when turned to START the clicking came from two places (inside the cab near my knees and in the engine compartment middle area). much like the #1 post above by jeepinjunkie. plus, the windshield wipers came on for a swipe! i knew i had 3 year old batteries, and i knew the battery cable terminals were starting to look corroded the last time i saw them. anyhow, i couldn't even jump the truck with the honda 4-cyl sitting next to me in the driveway. just more clicking sounds. for a split second i got traction with a engine crank, but then more clicking and light flashing, and then nothing. i drove the other truck to work. came home from work, popped the hood, cleaned the nasty white/green corroded and damp battery cable terminals and posts, used some baking soda/water solution to clean everything. the cable terminals may need replaced soon or at least the bolts so i can tighten them right, maybe best just to replace the whole cable. anyhow, the truck started right up, and it started like never before, cranks fast and hard. three of the battery terminals were just sitting loose enough on the battery posts that i just pulled them off by hand. i will be caring much better for my batteries.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ya those batteries don't come cheap anymore. Its like everything has gone out of site you just end up digging deeper into your pocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.