08 6.4L creamy looking Oil overflowing from Degas bottle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 6.4L creamy looking Oil overflowing from Degas bottle

Iíve been having Radiator issues, leaking for some time now, already had it replaced twice under warranty but because of money issues havenít been able to replace it a third time out of warranty. Iíve been just trying to keep it full, ran low the other day, gages didnít read hot, and no service or engine lights came on but I could tell by the sound it was hot. Stopped to add fluid and there was creamy oil overflowing out of the degas bottle, almost looked like an off white paint. My question is... is there any other oil, fluid, besides the engine oil that can get into the cooling system, by the way there is no water/coolant in the engine oil. Iím assuming itís the oil cooler, as over the phone a diesel mechanic I trust says thatís probably the problem and the oil pressure is much greater than the cooling pressure so itís only went one way, oil into coolant. Is there any other possibility besides the oil cooler as the problem, could it be any other type oil/fluid say like transmission? I would greatly appreciate any advice or input.

Also many many thanks to Ken for his hard work and time on making this manual available... http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/mem...-kenjamin.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Your oil cooler ruptured.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Banned

Your welcome. Sorry to hear about it bud. It is a major PITA to change.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm about to attempt the repair myself, and going to be installing a new radiator as well. The manual says to flush the cooling system before removing the oil cooler, any suggestions on this, seems to me if the cooler is leaking or ruptured, without the engine running, a flush will now put water in the engine oil, it doesn't have any in there at the moment!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have a 08 radiator im looking to sell if your interested, it is pretty new looking
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/per...-radiator.html
Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Banned

It won't put water or coolant into the oil as the oil system operates at a much higher working pressure than the cooling system. That said flushing with a ruptured oil cooler will only continue to dump oil into he cooling system. In your case you have to swap the oil cooler then flush the cooling system.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool, thanks!!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well tonight after a week working off and on, at times wanting to take a sledge hammer to it (the F'n turbo), I finally got to the oil cooler, couldnt see any visable damage or evidence of oil getting into the cooling side so I seriously started second guessing myself and even tho I checked it when it all happened and seemed normal.................. I pulled the dip on the tranny tonight and low and behold the same creamy looking stuff on the dip stick, so apparently its in the tranny!!!!! I just spent money i didnt have on oil cooler, turbo kit, and other gaskets and seals, and not to mention the MAJOR pain in the *** it is to do with the body on and now I'm confused, pissed, broke, and my truck is tore completely apart and when I put it back together tomorrow I feel Im backl at square one!! Any suggestions?????
Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you have creamy stuff in your trans your in deep trouble. Your going to be buying a new tranny soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.