2004 6.0 dying - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Winning DUHHH

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2004 6.0 dying

Hey guys, Nikki's truck (Shotgun_girl)
Keeps dying, it's not an HPO issue, when it dies, you have to cycle the key back to off then back on, it sometimes takes 3-4 cycles to work. It won't even engage the starter, the injectors won't cycle, then all of a sudden it fires right up. It went from running great, then on the way to KC airport it sputtered 3-4 times, the WIF light illuminated for a second then shut off, then on way home it did it once, ran fine this morning....then died 4 times in 12 miles, I removed the ECU and sprayed wd40 on the connections, it has been wet. Fires right up, drove it 300 yards and died in the road, fired it back up drove it a few miles and back home. Parked it running in the driveway, it died 5 mins later, I started it back up, before the edge could fire up it died again. Then it wouldn't even crank, about 15 seconds later it fired up, died again. Never sputters just dies like you turned off the ignition. I checked codes, had none. I checked everytime it died. We occasionally got a cam position sensor error, but that hasn't been for a while now. I could understand that going bad and killing the engine, but it always fires right up, and it won't kill ignition. I couldn't even crank the engine a few times after it died.

Any ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How often do you use the tilt steering wheel it seems like there is a connection problem not a engine problem also check all the batt conections especially the 8 ga bat cable from pass side battery just a thought
Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Winning DUHHH

Ill go do that right now.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the reason i asked bout the steering wheel is alot of people tilt up to get out and down to drive everytime well there is a wiring harness there and it gets pulled ever time a person does that and well that is a lot !!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Winning DUHHH

And we dont tilt it ever honestly, i dont know about the PO
Old 03-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sounds like a loss of ignition connection to me did anyone replace the started recently should check that also make sure connections are tight and clean
Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Winning DUHHH

Im checking all that as we speak, and No..No work recently has been done, other than i changed the oil about 1000 miles ago
Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I am just throwing this out there, and it may not be the issue at all, but my truck used to die on me while driving and then not want to restart right away. It would act up more frequently over time. I chased the issue down for A LONG time and it drove me nuts. After talking to some good techs on here, I narrowed it down to a wiring issue, which can common with our trucks, especially there earlier ones from what I've come across. I found a good used FICM harness to the injectors and replaced it. I never had that kind of issue again.

I have a link to some of the common wiring issues with the 6.0 if you want it.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Winning DUHHH

Yes please, those links would be helpful.

Ill go pull the degas bottle off the mount and shake the FICM harness with it running. I have been all over that thing, under the dash, the column, the main wiring harness to the ECU, the fuel pump wiring, starter, all passed the shake/tug test....But I couldnt get to the FICM easily. I did clean all the connections while i was at them. Connectors with WD40 and fastners with emery cloth .
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Here ya go. Keep us posted on what you find, if it is indeed a wiring issue, chasing that gremlin can't SUCK!!

DTS Articles - 6.0L Injector Harness
Ford DTC codes & wire chafing locations - TheDieselGarage.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.