NEED HELP BEEN DOWN A WEEK+ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEED HELP BEEN DOWN A WEEK+

I am in SC. We had our first real cold night last week in the 20sC. I went out the next morning. And my 7.3 was turning over slow. But never started. It popped and sputtered a few times but never fired up. I figured it was the POS Autozone batterries. They have given me issues in the past. And had been replaced a few times. They were holding 12.5v. When I was on the starter it dropped to 8.5v. I checked for good grounds. Or any other cable issues. And used jumper cables to isolate the cables all together. No issues found. So instead of replacing em again. I got me 2 new Interstate 65 series. It turned over slow still. But with a grinding noises. I slipped under the truck. And found that my starter was prying itself apart again. About 5 years ago the bolt on the starter motor broke. And it has done it again. So I got me new starter. And its spinning over fast as hell. But still no start. I apparently have a multi level problem here. I went to check the fuel bowl for fuel. And when I loosened the lid it sprayed out. So I obviously have good fuel pressure. I had a spare cam sensor. So I threw that in. And still no start. I pulled the ICP. It was kinda wet looking. But I didn't clean it off. And it still didn't start. Something is keeping it from firing the injectors. I am at a loss now. Where should I look next? I did the UCVH replacement several months ago. So that should be good. Also I plugged it in for the first time in its life(SC/FL truck) to see if was the GPs. Its back near 70s again now. Whats odd is that it happened on the coldest day of the year. Or just Murphy's law? It started great with no issues. Its like it was weather related. It literally broke in my driveway. I lost the pages(206-212) to my fuses/relay in the manual. Is there a relay or fuse I need to check? The oil level is within a half inch of the lid on the HPOP.
edit: I just bought a AE scanner. But will not get it til later this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
is your WTS light coming on?
tach moving during cranking?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Yep the WTS is on and I have oil pressure build up on the gauge. Should have stated its a 01. So I dont think my tach moves on this year.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Some do, some don't, on an '01.

If you have a Trans Temp Gauge in the cluster, you have the new cluster that does not show cranking rpm on the Tach. If you don't have the gauge it should, as an indication the CPS is producing signal...
Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did the truck start when you plugged it in for a bit? You might have a couple of bad ones or the relay is gone.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM

NEED HELP BEEN DOWN A WEEK+

It's more than likely either going to be a fault in glow plug system or injectors slugged when really cold.you can check glow plugs w test light and verify power at vc harness and check UVA harness w ohm meter. The 2 outside pins on each connector are the glow plugs and ohm to battery ground. Should be less Than 5 ohms. Let us know why ya find!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 AM

No it didn't start after I plugged it in. I had to charge the batteries the last 2 days. I ran em down a bit. So I topped em off with a fresh charge. Unfortunately I bought the wrong AE scan tool. But they are gonna swap it out for the right one for me. But that just delays me another week. I will ohm out the injectors this weekend. But I have replaced the harness already. I am really thinking its sludged injectors. It was acting a bit wierd for a few days prior. It had a bit of a stumble until it got good and warm. I was just putting it off to the cold spell. And I put a massive alum rad in it in the summer. Which also seems to make it take a while to get warm. I pulled the oil out of the HPOP yesterday. And it was pretty nasty. Definitely not getting turned over like it should. I replaced it with some lighter oil with sludge detergents. And about 30% Seafoam. I have been meaning to change the oil in the HPOP. But never did. I read on here where one guy was able to get his clear with the Seafoam treatment. So if any of you guys haven't changed your oil in your HPOP. Its worth the effort. I am about tired of Fing with it. So I am gonna leave it plugged in for 2 days. And take a break from it. Its gonna be in the mid to high 60s this weekend. If its is the injectors stuck. Maybe I can get enough heat in it to loosen em up.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

you can download the manual from the ford website. check your fuses, especially the maxi fuse for the bowl heater.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 AM

Update: Up And Running

I sucked the oil outta the HPOP. Added some fresh with a few ounces of Seafoam. It fired up instantly! And is actually running smooth as a sewing machine. I guess the injectors were stuck. But it always had a stumble on initial start up. Just thought that was a diesel thing. I would let it warm up about 15 minutes before I drove it in the morning. Now its as smooth as a 7.3 can be. It has been about 2 weeks now. And is still running great. After 3 weeks dead in the water. Just wanted to update the situation. So many of these are never finished out for the next guy. Dont really want to hear about HPOP system debate. This is what I did and it fixed it. And not only did it get it running. But running better than ever. There are plenty of threads for the HPOP debate already.

Last edited by jonnywilliams; 03-16-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Good to hear you have it running smooth, but I don't think you found the problem, sorry. Just replacing the oil in the HPOP and some seafoam and instantly starts up , I think it was the 60s temp and fully charged batteries got it going . No doubt the seafoam helped clean up the injectors , Well anyways ,its running and hope it stays that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.