2001 Diesel Excursion won's start! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 2001 Diesel Excursion won's start!

I have a 2001 Ford Excursion with the 7.3L Diesel. It on occasion will not start hot or cold. Most problems are with the cold start. It cranks well. Glow plugs I'm assuming are working based on voltage changes when the key is turned on and the glow plugs are heating. After about 90 seconds the voltage increases when glow plugs have stopped heating. It then cranks normally and will not start. I drained and refilled the oil reservoir, cleaned and reseated all fuses, relays and sensor connections. I have just had the cam sensor replaced at the Ford dealer under the new recall (tach shows RPMs when cranking). Once started, it runs perfectly. Shut it down and it sometimes will not restart. Only errors were CAM sensor prior to sensor replacement and a P603.
I can wait a while go back out and it will start up with nothing being done. Any help is greatly appreciated.
It is currently dead in a parking lot. Started fine this morning (39deg), ran to the store 15 min. Came out, and it won't start! Cranks well.
I am new to this forum. I have viewed many posting and I have gotten a lot of great information from this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I went back to get the truck and yes it started. I did have to jump start it this time though after many earlier attempts.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Similar Problem! Looking for a solution, too...

Hi! I left my truck at work today, too.

I've got a '99 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel. Today I drove it at lunch-time without a problem. Went out about four hours later to come home and started the truck. It ran for about 5 to 10 seconds and then died suddenly. Engine cranks normally, and I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to the warm-up position, but there is no evidence of fuel (smoke of any color) in the exhaust. Tomorrow, I hope to trace to a fuel cut-off solonoid--I'm hoping to find one in the fuel circuit, but I haven't looked to see that there is one in the system, yet. :-( It may be a fuse or a failed solonoid, or it could be something I am not yet aware of...I am open to suggestions. Thanks!!
-larry
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
PIPE HITTER

hey guys welcome to the ORG !

Out of curiosity, when the truck cranks and won't start, what happens if you jump it? Will it start then?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I haven't tried to jump start it, yet. It cranks over with good speed--the batteries are solid.
-larry
Old 01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
PIPE HITTER

I had a similar problem not too long ago, random no starts, but plenty of crank speed. If it would not start, and I jumped it, it would fire right up. The batteries seemed good, even had them tested, I racked my brain trying to figure it out. I replaced the batteries, and no problems since then.

I'm not suggesting for you guys to go buy new batteries, but a jump start test may not be a bad idea, hey it;s free

I'm sure some other folks will chime in on this as well, there is no doubt a number of other things it could be.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the insight. I plan to try the jumpstart tomorrow, when I go to troubleshoot it. The batteries are less than a year old, and were replaced as a set then.
-larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.