7.3 runs bad till warm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 runs bad till warm

hey all, new here but was referred here by some friends.
need some help w/ a 2000 7,3. just developed a problem the past week where when i would crank it cold in the morning and head out, it would lose power as if running out of fuel within a few blocks of home. then after much cranking, it would sound like it was tryin to catch and would finally start, once warm it ran just fine. today it was in the 30's here and when i started it, it ran a few minutes and cut off..i started it again and it did same thing, then i started it till the batteries died and it woldnt start, after 1 hour on the charger, it finally started but was still sluggish and rough till the temp came up, it seems fine after that but i noticed today that whe its warm and i get into it and then ease off, it seems to run a lil rough then clear up. could it be a sensor or fuel flow problem? any help is appreciated! the truck is stock except for a diablo program i have been running for years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Do you get the ses light on the dash? Also how does it run without the programmer?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

nope no lights or anything come on. do these trucks require more fule when cold rather than hot? is there a fuel filter other than the screw in one on top of the engiine? it seems as if its starving for fuel
Old 01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Thats the only fuel filter under the plastic engine cover inside the fuel bowl. Should change the filter around every 15 thousand check that first and see what happens. Is your diablo a programmer? Can you scan for codes with the diablo?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i just changed the filter this weekend and no change, i think the diablo does have the ability to scan for codes i will try that and see if it gives me anything!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:01 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

more than likely the problem you have if this engine as any miles on it is the injectors are sticking cold, once warm runs fine , it will run like that for a long time , up to you if it bothers you and want to fix it , youll need to pinpoint which injectors it is and replace them
Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile 7.3 runs bad till warm

When was the last time you changed the oil? I have fixed many a powerstroke with an oil change because it is 8 quarts low or it has been 15k since their last lof. Low oil or oil that is simply worn out will definetly do what you are describing. Good luck
Old 01-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE!! thanks to all who responded but the credit goes to seattlepsdtech! i took his advise thinking it might be a snakeoil remedy but when i got under, i noticed the filter was oily like it had been leaking and i was down almost 1/2 on oil. changed oil and filter and truck is good as new!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Great Thanks for posting the fix
Old 01-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepsdtech View Post
When was the last time you changed the oil? I have fixed many a powerstroke with an oil change because it is 8 quarts low or it has been 15k since their last lof. Low oil or oil that is simply worn out will definetly do what you are describing. Good luck
Props to ^this guy!! Gotta love this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.