HPOP going bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP going bad?

Ive posted part of this before with not much luck but now Im experiencing another problem. I have an 01 7.3 that when first started everyday I have to watch the oil gauge and feather the throttle, if I dont and the gauge does not come up in a couple seconds the truck dies and its and absolute crankfest to get started has been that way since I bought the truck but it seems to be getting worse.Usually once started its fine the rest of the day after the first start but now not always. If I let the truck sit for 3 or 4 days it runs like pure **** and misses the first 10 miles or so no matter what the temperature outside is.. Now my next problem. I recently put a beans 6 pos chip in the truck , high idle,ex brake,tow,economy,hot, and smoke and lope.. here is the issue. In the hot setting it does not have alot of power say if im going 60 and go to pass,, it takes off then kind of just lays over... lastly on the smoke and lope setting it makes ZERO smoke and after a few seconds in that setting its does not "lope" but sounds more like my race car when I go on the 2-step...pop,pop,pop,pop... I called beans and they promptly said it was the h-pop and would gladly sell me an upgraded one for 1k.. im not against putting one in but I want to be sure this is the problem before doing so.. any ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you think it's the hpop, you need to first check for codes with a device capable of reading manufacturer specific codes, then pull up some PIDs. icp and ipr. if you have a high ipr duty cycle percent with a relatively low icp reading, that's an indication of a weak pump.

before you go to start the truck in the morning, pull off the oil pressure switch at the hpop reservoir and have a peek at the oil level in there. it should be around 1" from the top
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya@bernhausen View Post
if you think it's the hpop, you need to first check for codes with a device capable of reading manufacturer specific codes, then pull up some PIDs. icp and ipr. if you have a high ipr duty cycle percent with a relatively low icp reading, that's an indication of a weak pump.

before you go to start the truck in the morning, pull off the oil pressure switch at the hpop reservoir and have a peek at the oil level in there. it should be around 1" from the top
thanks for the reply...some of that is spanish to me ..but here is what I can tell you...There is no check light and the only codes it has ever set is the one for overboost. i have had this at 2 different dealerships and they both did nothing but change the oil filter and put a new oil pressue switch in the top of the hpop and charge me 300.00 a crack ..then tell me there is nothing wrong with the truck. Yes the hpop is full of oil when cold

Last edited by drummondracing; 02-20-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM

I learned to not always count on codes. When my hpop went bad it took everyone on the org three weeks to diagnose it and I had no codes and pressure tests were within the minimum range.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I hear ya. Like I said I dont have any codes, and as I posted on the smoke setting it makes no smoke at all.. IDK Im honestly almost ready to say "f" it and buy a new long block, My oil pan is starting to rust, it has a undiagnosed noise (its been there for over 100k miles) and now this too.... its a p.i.t.a I cant let anybody else drive it because they dont know how to start it...I'm afraid im gona go on a road trip to get something and one morning it wont start ever again
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM

codes can be stored without illuminating the MIL. they aren't something to rely on. but if a code is set that correlates to your problem, it saves immense amounts of time and money. the system is there. utilize it.

op, what you need is someone competent and knowledgable on these trucks who can monitor pertinent PIDs when the problem is occurring.
otherwise, get yourself an AE and we can run through some checks. you could have bought one multiple times with the futile trips you took to the dealer.

how about fuel pressure? has that been checked?
fuel pressure, base oil pressure and icp pressure. those are some parameters you want to look at with these symptoms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.