No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Start

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster.

Yesterday I replaced the gaskets and o-rings on both my HPOP and IPR, putting new o-rings on the oil line connectors coming out of the HPOP as well due to a very large oil leak. Now the truck won't start. HPOP reservoir is full we filled it before trying to start, fuel filter bowl is full, filled it as well. Tach is moving, oil pressure is reading in the middle of the normal range on the oil gauge. No smoke from the tailpipe at all. Voltage on the batteries are 11.5 when cranking. Fuse #22 and 17 are fine and the truck has a new fuel heater on it a couple of years ago (before I decided to start working on the truck myself). However we are hearing a wierd noise coming from the HPOP itself...it is possible that with 280k miles on the truck taking the HPOP off and moving it around did something to it and/or the IPR (loosen up some trash or debris) and damaged the pump? I'm picking up a 3000psi gauge today to check the oil pressure on the lines going to the oil rail to see what type of pressure I have. I put an injector in a couple of months ago and it was hard to start after doing that, but only had to turn it over on and off for about 15 min before she fired right up (didn't know about filling the reservoir at that time) and has run like a champ before this.

HELP PLEASE!!!! any other ideas would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Banned

You took the HPOP all the way out??

My question would then be, are you sure you got the splines for the pump fulley engaged back into the gear. If not, you my not be spinning the pump and/or could have damaged the splines on the pump that conect it to the gear.

I would take the inspection cover off that you took off the first time to pull the bolt for the HPOP gear on the front of the motor and crank it to verify the gear is turning
Old 08-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Banned

Oh, and Welcome to the forum man!!!! looks like you took the time to do your research before posting your question
Old 08-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Welcome Billy! Glad you decided to sign up with us. I'm sure Marc and the other guys on here can help get you going again.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I pulled the plate off of the front of the reservoir, took off the 18mm bolt, then took the two 10mm bolts off of the back where the entire HPOP is bolted to the reservoir and took it out towards the turbo.

***EDIT*** Ok, I see what you are talking about, when it quits raining I'll pull the cover and see, however it didn't look splined to me, just the bolt holding the pump onto the shaft.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Banned

make sure the bolt is tight and that the gear is turning when you can get to it...
Old 08-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, still have to check the gear but with the gauge on the line going to the driver side oil rail has 0 psi when the truck is turning over.

Question.....will the IPR not working properly cause it to have no oil pressure on the line? The IPR is confusing me on how it works, does the magnet keep pressure against the valve to keep the pressure low or does it pull the valve open to let the pressure build?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Banned

If you have no pressure there and a noise, lets leave the IPR function out of it for now. Check that bolt and the gear because im guessing thats where we need to look. Generally an IPR doesnt go completely bad, as in 0 psi. Usually they allow 1-300 even when they have failed...
Old 08-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
If you have no pressure there and a noise, lets leave the IPR function out of it for now. Check that bolt and the gear because im guessing thats where we need to look. Generally an IPR doesnt go completely bad, as in 0 psi. Usually they allow 1-300 even when they have failed...

Ok, will do that tomorrow....thanks again for all the help. I'm about at my wits end but with 277k miles on the truck I can't complain too much, except when Ford screwed me over on a couple of things when the fuel heater went out.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You are a genius Marc, you were exactly right on what it was. Lined the pump up on the gear and after filling up the fuel and HPOP reservoir she fired first time.

Thanks again for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.