94 f-250 cranking, but not starting emergency!! (bless ur heart if you read all this. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 94 f-250 cranking, but not starting emergency!! (bless ur heart if you read all this.

this is lenghty in an attempt to rule out stuff, and inform yall of what i know. bear with me, and my redneck writing style. ok guys, first time postee, been browsing the posts and threads all day, awesome site! reminds me of the ducati website i got help on for my 02 monster 900. My problem started at 6:00 this a.m. when i went to go to work. first...i get in and begin cranking. its cold...cranking amps are low...its acting like it wants too....white smoke out the exhaust, (characteristic of compressed unburnt fuel i hear), finally the battery drains, and i hook up a plymouth breeze to jump it. crank, and crank, and crank somemore. NADDA. eventually i crack the fuel filter cup to see if there is fuel in there..full to the brim. the battery is more charged by now, i begin cranking. somewhere in there, it actually turns over a few times on its own never starting though. this happened twice. after that, i keep cranking, intermittenly, as much as the still being jumped battery will allow me. NADDA. i notice that onesecond it cranks as if the battery is brand new, then the next second it dies out after 3 rotations in one crank. i think connection. so i go check my terminals and they are corroded. i begin working on those. the factory positive/positive/starter harness is a solid chunk of lead, with the 3 leads goinginto it, molded onto a post clamp. well, the darn thing breaks off the clamp. so, i cut the wires off the lead chunk, strip them back, pu..........i did a patch job. electrician by trade, it just came naturally to me. lol. it was quite ingenuitive with the materials i had, anyone interested, im gonna take pics, its quit humorous. anyways, get good connection, begin charging/jumping/cranking. an hour later NADDA. ok, so here is where its gets sticky. so im sittin there thinking about one of the fuel pumps i just had replaced for an ungodly amount of money (after reading all day im sure there are 2, and i think the intank one was replaced, im gonna confirm that though), and the cam sensor 2 years ago and a left and right wiring under valve cover wiring harness 2 weeks apart last winter. Well, my truck has been leaking fuel from the top of the engine, so i thought, after cracking the filter cup lid, and the leak somewhere up there, i figured i needed a fuel prime job. i released the little shradder lookin valve with the black cap on it and cranked it, and it spurted everywhere, sealed it back up, also did the same procedure with the water purge valve. so i do more online investigating, and put a new cam sensor in it when i got the new battery wiring harness at noon. unless i got a faulty cam sensor, that should be ruled out. im also leaning toward ruling out bleeding the fuel. (oil is a different story) ok, so, not the cam sensor, not the electrical connection, not the fuel rail prime. ive learned that any one of these components could also be the cause of the problem. the ICP (injector control pressure) which controls the pressure from the HPOP (High pressure oil pump). Also, the IDM (Injector driver module) and the IPR (injector pressure regulator). Am i missing any? oh yea, fuse number 22 is in fine shape, not the fuel heater. LOL. ok, so, i got the truck at 230,000 miles on a repo deal. no clue as to the previous maintenance, and parts gone out/replaced. since i have owned the truck, i have done a new water pump, starter, injectors, (almost all, a few at a time, yes, i know, im an idiot) valve cover wiring harness, left and right, cam sensor (twice now). never have any of the afore mentioned acronymed parts (PEMNWNSOWS) been replaced to my knowledge. ive read about how to test the ones that are testable, and ill have to work on getting some liquid testing gauges for oil pressure n such, and i need more pictures. the 7.3 litre "bible" link to the International website didn't work anymore. anyone know of a diy posting complete with pics on any of those acronymed parts? ok, here is the thing, after reading so much, i think its the fuel pump with the weep hole under the fuel cup. its been leaking diesel for almost a year, and i know all the potential leak problems, the pitted filter cup, the leaky o-rings, the mounting brackets rubbing through hoses. im not sure what is leaking, its a god awful mess in there, but i have examined it and never saw any pressurized squirting. all the diesel leaking maybe its pitted. I think that the fuel leak indicates a bad fuel pump, and thats why im not turning over. what does this pump do? when i crank it, it spurts out fuel, so im guessing atleast one pump is good. my problem is, i can't afford for this thing to break down where i miss work, and then have to pay so much to fix it. my diesel mechanics are bozo's and frankly, i don't really trust anyone with it anymore. someone help me fix my girl for cheap so i don't have to sell my baby and buy a ford ranger LMAO. everything about the truck is sucking me financially, 250,000 miles, things are bound to break down and need fixing, but i can't do everything. i can only afford one problem at a time, and i can't afford to go throwing parts at it till i have solved it. the check engine light came on way early in the morning, for a few seconds then went off, so i don't think there will be any trouble codes. and if i tow this thing anywhere its gonna be to the auction house. ive spent SO much on it...a great buy at 1,300 (i thought) now easily 7 or 8 thou into it 3 years later, i can't take much more. the hpop and the mechanical fuel pump with the weep hole are different right? im gonna call my cedar chopper diesel mechanics and ask them which fuel pump was replaced. basically, i wanna start replacing the easiest and cheapest parts first if no one agrees on the fuel pump. i told the whole story, hoping some of the symptoms might seem familliar, and will aid in the diagnosing of it. im sure there is more i can tell you, and im sure you have some questions for me, bless your heart for reading all this and for your concern. all comments appreciated! p.s. if you live in austin texas, and you see a redheaded kid go cruising by on a red ducati wearing a toolbelt..THATS ME! until i get my truck fixed anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

have you had it scanned for codes?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no, i haven't had it scanned for codes, see, i don't wanna have it towed somewhere to get scanned, then tell them im gonna do the work in their parking lot to avoid another tow. after all that, i should just try the first most likely part, lol. and i also don't wanna buy a code reader at 300 bucks a pop. (i could buy one, then return it i suppose) BUT, i thought i read that if you don't have the check engine light on, then there won't be any codes, then its a mechanical failure, and i don't have a check engine light on...which sounds like a fuel pump, which is probably leaking out the weep hole, and causing lake diesel on top of my motor. I do have a line on a programmer, and i asked if the guys programmer read codes, he said he wasn't sure, but it might if i had the right tune. im guessing thats the factory settings on my truck or something? im gonna go up and see if i can isolate the leak.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

GUESS WHAT!

i was on my knees, on the radiator, under the hood, having pops crank the engine, and i was investigating the fuel leak, and we were running out of battery juice, and i crawled down, and went to talk to pops, and told him i was gonna have to find a picture of a fuelpump weep hole, cause i couldn't see anything, and i crawled back up there for one more look, and he began cranking, and it had maybe 3 more turns in it, and grruUUUMMMGRUMBRUMGRUMBRUMGRUMBRUMGRUM...it started! right underneath me!. guess i have the right touch with mah girl. LOL. so anyways, after i got it started, i found the fuel leak, the lower fuel hose from the pump to the filter cup. anyways, i feel so bad now, all my efforts yesterday, and this big long wanna-be blog, im guessing it just needed to be primed, after i opened that fuel cup before i got it recharged to crank on it some more, i never got the prime back until it started today. anyways, my turbo doesen't have the high pressure whistle anymore...i guess ill do some research, and in the morning, my breaks get rock hard, which i think is the vaccum pump. i guess ill leave the story up...as proof that if you know you lost the prime...dont' stop crankin till your spittin out smoke atleast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.