Leaky EGR Cooler hose (Orange one) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaky EGR Cooler hose (Orange one)

I have a 2003 6.0. I get an occasional drip spot under the engine on the passenger side. A smell and taste test indicates coolent. Further investigation found a leaky EGR coolent hose (the orange one under the turbo). Solution... Change the hose. Seems like an easy repair job doesn't it? After several hours of knuckle busting, I got the turbo loose but can't get it out of the engine compartment. Its totally loose and I can pick it up but I can't figure out how to wiggly it out.

What else do I have to remove to get the turbo out and then get to the EGR cooler hose? Any suggesitons??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I got some tech books and I will look into it and scan and send it to you but it wont be for a few hours I'm working hard on OT tonight Ill be in touch
Old 12-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, I got the turbo out. I had forgotten that the rear of the engine was lowered on a jack. Once it was raised up to proper attitude the turbo came right out. The jack is holding up the rear of the engine because I had to remove the rear cross member so the exhaust pipe could be lowered away from the turbo. The third bolt on the turbo was impossible to reach otherwise.

Now I can’t get the orange connector hose loose from the oil cooler. I cut the hose and was able to get one part off the EGR coolant tube. I can’t get the other half off the oil cooler. I removed the two Torx bolts from the cooler where the coolant line connects. I removed the small cover. I can’t seem to get the body of the connector of of the oil cooler. Its loose but won’t come off.

Once this connector body is off I can remove the remaining piece of the orange coolant connector hose and start the reassembly process.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Would it interest you that Ford pays a tech the princely sum of 1 (one) hour to perform that repair? Damned stealerships, anyway....
Old 12-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you need to twist it to line up the two internal tabs and it will slide off.look inside the new hose I believe the tabs must be at 9 and 3 to slip off.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I think I figured it out.

After I got the turbo and its mounting plate off, I was able to gain access to the EGR cooler pipe and the connector hose. I cut the hose with a knife and the end that was on the EGR cooler pipe came right off. The other end was a bit more tricky. Yes there are two little tabs at 9 and 3 oclock that would disengage from the flange on the oil cooler. The whole problem was I couldn't apply twist action and pull at the same time with the turbo installed, There just wasn't enough room. So... off came the turbo. (ha)

In hind sight, I suppose that it would be possible to remove the two torx bolts on the oil cooler flange and slip the EGR connector and the flange out together and then remove the connector hose from the flange after they are both off the engine. The new hose could be slipped on and the flange reinstalled. In theory this would probably work. However, when I took the old hose off the EGR pipe there was some residue from the old o-ring seals and a bit of corosion. If I hadn't removed the turbo I never would have seen the problem and the new hose probably would have leaked. I cleaned up the EGR pipe and oil cooler flange with some steel wool so the new o-rings would have a nice clean sealing surface.

After everything was reinstalled I pressure tested the coolant system with 15 psi of air. The filler cap pressure relief started venting at 16 psi just as it should. I let the test pressure stay for several minutes with no drop in pressure so I figured that there are no leaks. Then I filled the coolant system and started the engine. No water leaks but I did have an oil leak on top of the turbo. I should have put a new gasket under the oil supply flange. Oh well... live and learn!!
Old 12-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Great job getting it apart and back together.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Glad to hear you got it done Sorry I didn't come through on the manual I got called in to work and have not had time to stop and get it for you all week Maybe next time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.