rough low rpm and hard start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking rough low rpm and hard start

Hi, 1st. time user so bare with me. i have a 2002 f-350 cc cab and chassis, it has 116000, 6 spd., air raid filter, edge programmer, 4"down pipe all the back to rear end. It is a work truck that ways 11500 lbs. I carry alot of tools and pull a gooseneck trailer and typ. gross about 28000 to 32000 lbs. i bought the truck new and by know means ever really babied it. One day at about 103000 miles it started to misbehave. Just my luck 3000 miles after warranty. If the temp. gets below 60 deg. at nite i have to plug it in, otherwise it cranks for 30 sec. before it fires and then it puffs out white smoke. At idle it misses and you can hear it and fill it in the truck. I have good oil preasure and temp never gets above normal. I have a boost gauge that under hard hill pulls will boost 22 to 25 lbs. and exh. temp never reachs 1100 degs. Between idle to 1500. rpm to 2000 rpm depending on what gear your in lower gear being lower rpm. it stills misses and runs rough. The beast can still pull a big load and still top the hill before those duramaxxs. I always serviced between 3000 and 4500 miles and ran add. and cleaner in my fuel. I can't belive that if the motor is dusted it would still pull and run like it does.

Last edited by milesmason; 08-10-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 AM

if it is hard starting like that you mite you want to check the injectors b/c my dads 7.3 did the same thing buy it start well and he always had to plug it in if it got cold! But once they fixed the injectors it runs great now
Old 08-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Check the glow plugs and glow plug relay,would bet that is where your issue is.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned

I would almost bet you have an injector problem....there is the possibility of a valvetrain problem as well.....
Old 08-10-2006, 10:32 AM
I don't know nuttin....

glowplugs on the start issue and I say injectors need cleaned or replaced on the other issue.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Sorry to get off topic, but how do you like the Edge programmer? Nathan is offering a deal on ten of them with attitude monitor.
I don't know much about this product though.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Marc ,knows best ,but I still bet on glow plugs starting issue,and injecters for second.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:45 AM

Its injectors that will also affect the starting especially if it cold! I am almost positive thats what it is b/c i had the same problem!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned

if the temps were colder i would say glow plugs as well, but hte 6.0 doesnt need glow plugs to start at summer temps......injectors not properly firing will cause a hard start though
Old 08-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks For Help

This Is A 7.3 Truck, It Only Has Yo Be Plugged In 60 Deg. And Lower And Still It Takes Cranking For 30 Sec. Weather It Is 30 Deg. Or 105 Deg. Out Side. Only Does It Get Better Is After The Truck Has Warmed Up To Operating Temp. It Still Takes Between 5 And 15 Sec. To Start Just Depends On How She is Filling, we like to call her the grey goose. Dont Ever Park On A Slope Up Hill Or It Will Never Start Only After You Level The Truck And Prime The High Press. Oil Pump. Thanks For All Your Guys Help With The Issues And I'll Keep You Posted On The Progress Thanks

Last edited by milesmason; 08-11-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.