2000 7.3 shuts off while driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 shuts off while driving

2000 excursion 7.3 randomly shuts off while driving down the road. New cam sensor installed yesterday. Engine just shuts off. No check engine light, no codes. Usually fires back up after I cycle the key. Thoughts please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fuel Delivery would be next (you know if you just run-out, no codes are set so, it's what I think of in these cases)

Fuel - pump runs? Fuel refilling filter housing? (open the yellow drain lever to find out)

Tank below 1/4? Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (are you close to empty?)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuel tank is full, fuel pump runs. On the scanner it says fuel pump duty cycle 100% which i imagine is normal. No fuel leaks. Fuel filter replaced 6k ago. When i open the drain **** on the bowl, fuel pours oit as it should. The IPR is securely connected, and at idle shows qu% duty cycle. Everything seems legit. I dont wanna condemn the pcm, but I cant think of what else it could be
Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, ipr @ 17%
Old 01-27-2013, 10:50 AM

PCM?

That would be down my list some...

There could be any number of bad connections, fuse connections, relays, chafed wires, failing sensors, I donno, PCM's a pretty expensive place to start. Stuff like this always sucks, hard to duplicate, hard to find the commonality, it just takes time & testing.

I would take any tuning off you might have, go back to stock, take a good look at the fusebox for loose stuff, roll the wire looms under the hood over any place it might chafe (Valve covers etc.). Maybe have a good look at the IPR itself, make sure the tin nut's there and the wires look solid.

It can be a project, but anytime I've resorted to Throwing Parts at an intermittent problem I've felt pretty stupid when I found something simple I made into a Big Deal
Old 01-27-2013, 11:06 AM

I would check the ign switch. It can cause these kind of symptoms. Also as NoRalph mentioned, check connections!

In these kind of situations, I will do what most mechanics call a "wiggle test". Fire it up and start wiggling the wiring harness and connectors and HOPE it dies when you wiggle a section of wire or connector. This would give you an area to look.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've tried wiggling wires. None look open or chafed. I guess I'll take a look at the ignition switch next. The one time it cut off on me, the theft light lit up about 5 seconds before it died, and at one point, I did pull a PATS code. But the code is not constant.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Might just be a coincidence...drove the truck this morning (cold and rainy) didnt run the heater, and it didn't give me any issues. Ran for a little over an hour. Might be irrelevant, but who knows.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 AM

That's what SUCKS about trying to figure this stuff out! You're always looking for the commonality, and then coincidence "rears it ugly head"
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sucks doesn't even begin to describe it. And now, this truck is my only mode of transportation. Im gonna take a real close look at the ipr, and start checking out wires under the dash. Life is just not being kind to me this month...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.