truck wont start cant find where to plug it in - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck wont start cant find where to plug it in

I bought an 01 powerstroke this summer and now its getting into the teens at night. I went out to start it around 11am and it wouldnt start its draining the battery and it still wont start jumping it. I cant find the plug to plug it in if it even has one. ive looked all around the grill. any help would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2007, 11:54 AM

Theres a plug in there somewhere. Look on the block then follow the cord. You shouldnt need it if your glow plugs are working properly.

Check this site out. All you need to know about your glow plug system.

How to Diagnose the Ford Glow Plug
Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Rebel

It could be by the grill but most of the one i have had are in the front bumper area. Easyiest thang to do it get on the ground and look up in the bumper and along the driver side frame rail. It should have 1 on it. If you can't find it i will take pics of mine the way its ran.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:10 PM

won't start

look for plug by the drivers side tow hook. tucked behind bumper. it comes from right above the oil filter, mine is a large red cable, if you truck comes from a cold climate it will have plug! other wise you need to buy the cable from Ford to plug in by the oil filter.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Alright guys, I have the orange cord from above the oil filter those were easy directions. But now I have another problem. Some DUMB@$$ used dykes to cut of the plug for some unknown reason. The truck is origionally a California or Texas Truck i believe. Anyway it has 3 wires in the cord. 2 without insulation and one with green insulation. If i were to cut the end off an extension cord which goes where. Also how much does a new cord cost?

Thanks a bunch
Old 11-24-2007, 12:46 PM

also another question i was doing some research here on the site and i found a link to buy the cords. how do you know if you have the factory battery heater
Old 11-24-2007, 01:07 PM

heater cord

Can't believe there are bare wires, maybe that is why the plug was cut off 'bad heater'???? anyway green is ground, goes to the round prong on plug, then white wire goes to the wide blade on plug which is neutral, black wire goes to the narrow blade on plug, which would be the hot wire. before I would buy a new cable. I would check to see if heater is shorted using an ohm meter. Hope this helps
Old 11-24-2007, 01:45 PM

Well, they werent bare but they werent capped off, they were just cut off probably right before the plug. Hopefully it was an accident and when i wire it up it will just work. without an ohm meter how do you tell if the heater is working like if i were to plug it in. also i cannot find a white wire. it is green in the center and unmarked on the wires on each side
Old 11-24-2007, 01:51 PM

You will probably be able to hear it. I can hear mine when I plug it in. Prob also hear/see a little spark in the plug when you connect. hopefully not to big though.LOL If you wired it right. If not I guess youll just trip the breaker.

Last edited by Builttuff; 11-24-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:09 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
The plug is wired just like a house. You should have a ground, white, and black wire. You can get a new plug at a hardware store and wire it up just like you would any other three prong plug.

Carefully cut back the rubber coating that covers the wires. Eventually you will find all three wires. The green is the ground, then you have white and then black. From my understanding it does not matter which side of the plug you put the black or the white on. The problem is your cord maybe damaged. I strongly suggest you get a new cord. I got an aftermarket block heater from the local parts store. The cord was the same for that aftermarket one as the oem one. So all I used was the cord.

Although your truck may start with the use of the block heater. I still suggest you check out the cold start system on the truck. Because you may not always be able to plug the truck in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.