1994 PSD no start - need help ASAP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 02:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1994 PSD no start - need help ASAP

I have a 1994 F-SuperDuty with a 7.3 PSD (turbo) with 201K miles on it. I recently replace the low pressure cut-off switch on the A/C, Started the motor and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes to see if the A/C was working properly (it was) and I shut the engine off. About an hour later I started the engine normally to leave. It started fine and I backed out of my driveway. About as soon as I started forward, the engine just died - shut off completely! I tried restarting it several times but it would crank but not fire. I tried a small shot of a starting fluid and it would "pop off" for a short time. This led me to think that it was a fuel problem. I checked the fuel filter and found that it was starting to get plugged so I replaced it. Still would not start. I also knew that the fuel pump was slowly leaking from the weep hole and decided that this was a good time to replace it too. Still would not start. I talked to the Mech at the local Ford garage and he thought it was possibly the Cam Position Sensor. Replaced that too and still will not start. I cracked the banjo bolt on the fuel pump outlet while a friend cranked it over and it seemed to have good flow. tightened the banjo bolt and cracked the line at the back of the heads while it was being cranked over. Fuel ran out in a stream a little larged than a pencil lead but no gush or spray. (I do not know if that is normal). I pulled the allen plug on the high oil pressure resevoir and it was low and I filled it, tried to start it (no start) checked the resevoir again and it was still full. I replace both batteries with ones out of my other truck - both new and it crank over just as fast, if not faster than it ever has but the tach during cranking is only about 400rpm. Oil pressure never comes off of 0 psi. I even tried grounding the wire from the sending unit to "fool" the system but, even with the wire grounded the needle only went to the "R" on the normal and it still will not start. The volts read about 9 after the glow plugs initially trip off with the "wait to start" light which is about normal for my truck until it starts. I have had 4 (yes four) code readers on my truck with NO codes showing up. I am running out of Ideas and would GREATLY APPRECIATE any and all help that anyone could give me. Sorry for being such a lengthy post but, I was trying to give as much info as possible right away. Again, thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 02:51 AM
Premium Member

welcome to the forum! its early so give your thread a couple of hours for some good advice.
brian
Old 08-03-2006, 06:36 AM
Banned

if your only reading nine volts after the glow plugs kick off, it will never start, you need over 11 while cranking for the IDM to run the injectors....

im more concerned with the lack of base engine oil pressure. without that your truck will never start. First of all, just to get this out of the way, you have checked your oil level to make sure you didnt have a massive leak and lose a bunch of oil??? and secondly, have you tried manually checking the base engine oil pressure???
Old 08-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No oil leaks - dipstick shows full. I put an oil pressure guage into the allen screw hole in the high pressure resevoir several weeks ago. I never really checked the oil pressure while cranking but, after cold start up it went to 60-65 lbs. At warm idle the guage showed about 20lbs. During cranking now the needle does NOT move. I do not know if it was like that before.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Marc ,when you come up with the answer for this one please let me know.
Had simular once on97 and it was fuel heater shorted out.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just had a ASE Senior Master Tech over here to check the truck out with his scanner. He said that the IPR was working electronically. He disconnected the lines from the High pressure pump, installed a pressure guage and watched it as I cranked it over. NO pressure at all! He suggested that I put a new high pressure pump in and also change out the IPR right away because he said that when the pump goes out, they usually throw alot of crap through the IPR and even though it was working electronically it may not be working mechanically.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont remember exactly but when I had my 97 I had a simular problem I had to fill the timing chain cover housing with oil so the sensor would read that it had oil pressure before it would crank. I replaced everything known to man before I had an old man from a little mech shop on the south side to help me with the problem. Probably not any help but that was my experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.