Engine idling when sunk in lake, now has hydraulic lock! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine idling when sunk in lake, now has hydraulic lock!

I have a 99 E350 with 7.3 195K miles. A friend was launching a jetski with it, backed the rear wheels in water, put in park, put emrgency brake on, got out of the van to tie ski to pier and the van slid into the water while running. Poor thing sank up to the roof, it did float for a min. enough time to drift away from pier.

The engine now must have a hydraulic lock because it will not turn over.

I'm thinking I should remove the valve covers and exhaust and either remove glow plugs or somehow hold the exhaust valves open then hand crank engine over to remove water.

Any other ideas on that. Also what kind of engine damage should I expect? Bent push rods and bent connecting rods. How do I check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2007, 07:05 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
The engine is most likely full of water. That is why it will not turn over. I suggest you drain the oil and all the other fluids, Then attempt to turn the engine over by hand.

I dealt with this alot when I was in the corps. Dang drivers would forget to switch the deep water fording valve and fill the engine up with water. I would drain the oil, remove the glowplugs and crank engine by hand. Then I would drain the fuel tank and refill with fresh diesel. Then I would refill with oil change the oil filter, install the glowplugs and attempt to crank the engine over with the starter. Most of the time the engine would fire up and run ok with no problems.

Was this salt water or fresh water?

Good luck I am sure techs will give you all the info you need to get your van back up and running.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
The engine is most likely full of water. That is why it will not turn over. I suggest you drain the oil and all the other fluids, Then attempt to turn the engine over by hand.

I dealt with this alot when I was in the corps. Dang drivers would forget to switch the deep water fording valve and fill the engine up with water. I would drain the oil, remove the glowplugs and crank engine by hand. Then I would drain the fuel tank and refill with fresh diesel. Then I would refill with oil change the oil filter, install the glowplugs and attempt to crank the engine over with the starter. Most of the time the engine would fire up and run ok with no problems.

Was this salt water or fresh water?

Good luck I am sure techs will give you all the info you need to get your van back up and running.
I completely agree.

Sell the van asap. Electrical problems are soon to follow.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was fresh water. The insurance totalled it. I replaced it with a 2002 E350 cargo 7.3 with a 4x4 quigley conversion. I bought the 99 15-passenger back from the insurance co. to get the interior, rear air & heat, cruise control, ect. off from it.
I have changed the fluids removed the cruise and installed it on the 02. I'm in the process of removing the glow plugs and thought i'd research things on the internet when I found your forum and joined. I like your forum and appreciate the help. I wanted to make sure there were not any quirks removing the glow plugs. As normal everything is hard to get to and see what your doing. I'll keep you posted on progress, thanks
Old 11-15-2007, 04:19 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

Don't try and turn if over with the starter. Like stated before, remove the glow plugs drain all the fluids and turn it over by hand. The refill the fluids and WITH THE GLOW PLUGS STILL REMOVED crank it over with the starter a few times. The best way to do this is to jump the solenoid rather than hitting the key as to not inject fuel into the chamber. Then reinstall the glow plugs and cross your fingers and fire it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.