white/grey smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
white/grey smoke

We have an '06 6.4L and we just replaced head gaskets, new ARP Studs, rebuilt Injectors from Warren Diesel, Blue Spring kit upgrade, Coolant Filter kit and EGR Delete from Sinister.

Truck ran magnificent for two weeks both towing and non-towing. Went to the jobsite today with no problems. Went to come home and upon cranking she was running very rough, like she was skipping. We babied her home (about 10 miles) and about three miles from home at red light, she started blowing heavy white and blue smoke. She blows smoke until about 1500 RPM. We pulled over and had a roll off come and get us.

There's no bubbling in Degas bottle and no coolant in oil pan.

Anybody able to help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If you have a 06 you don't have a 6.4l you have a 6.0l...

What does the smoke smell like? Excessive fuel or sweet coolant smell?

Most likely a injector stuck open. Careful trying to start it because it can leak fuel into the cylinder(s) and hydrolock it and if that happens and you keep trying to crank it over it can/will bend a rod.

Also keep an eye on your oil level. If it starts to rise (making oil) you are leaking fuel past the rings in the cylinders and it is ending up in the crankcase and will need to be addressed ASAP.

Do you have anyway of reading or scanning for codes? See if it is throwing any contribution codes or imbalance codes.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

You are right. It's the 6.0. My other is the 6.4.

Smells like fuel.

There is no CEL. Would there be a code w/o a CEL? You had mentioned previously to me, when you recommended Jesse from Warren Diesel to do the injectors, that I get a monitor. Would that tell me if I had a code?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You need a good monitor or scanner software and pull the codes. Yes it can throw a code without throwing the CEL.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Serving Our Country!

Got a Livewire, no codes....ARGG. I think the dealer got tired of us bringing the truck to them and disabled DTCs LOL.

Came to the braintrust (That's powerstroke.org) and read a bit and decided that we should pull all the glowplugs and turn the engine over to determine which cylinder was blowing fuel.

We did this and found that #4 was blowing (It was VERY obvious). Don't get your face too close to your engine block, LOL.

After pulling the #4 Injector, we found that it wasn't "STUCK", the lower O-Ring was blown.

If this happens to you, BE SURE that you inspect/clean the head-bore that the injector goes into. YOU MUST find the remnants of that copper washer and remove them!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Just an update...

We replaced the o-rings/washer on this injector and it wasn't 200 miles and we blew another one.

I would recommend, and it has probably been recommended already somewhere else on this site, that anytime you take your motor apart, go ahead and spend the little bit of money and replace the injector sleeves too.

There is a place that will sell you an inexpensive kit that includes the sleeve insertion tool and a tap (I think it's 3/4"). You simply tap some threads into the sleeve, attach a 3/4" bolt onto a slide hammer, screw the bolt into the newly cut threads, pull the old sleeve out with the slide hammer, and put the new ones in with the insertion tool. Be sure to use threadlock when you put the new sleeves in.

Since we replaced the sleeves we have had no more problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.