Electrical prob.... could it be from the chip? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Electrical prob.... could it be from the chip?

ok heres the prob i did some extensive looking around and well heres the video ill let this start me off.... Video of 2001 F-250 Truck Prob - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

ok what u just saw was my 2001 F250 act like it has a hard time starting.... heres the situation
wheather temp high 53 low 40's not plugged in to show u what i ran into one day in the woods hunting (an ohh crap situation)
heres what happened leading up to this i posted a lil subject called

"WORRIED!!!! edge J&A programing prob" in general discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGuy21585 View Post
im worried since i was in a hurry today to fix the terminal on my starter that i screwed up the programing for the computer to the juice and attitude. reason being is that after unhooking the batt cables i remembered " s *** im still set at lvl 2 towing." now im not sure but i always played it safe and returned it to stock before unhooking the batt. now i havent hooked anything up yet but i thought before i connect every thing id see if any one had probs with something like this.
2001 f-250 7.3L with edge Juice and attitude
since that i have had this prob and when i reconected the batt for the first time out of all the other times i have disconected then reconected the batt i get error keep alive mem failure and a short ABS light till i moved the truck ....

so im trying to sort out if a programing error happened when i unlpuged the truck WHILE it was in "tow" mode or if im in for some glow plug sorting out one of these weekends. but what real gets me is the stero shutting off, before the vid it did it just once but now its doing it twice!!! what in the world

Last edited by LilGuy21585; 11-12-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ohh and what bothers me or dumbfounds me the most is what sounds like relays or something clicking real bad when starting m assumeing the relays for the glow plug??? i have never had the glow plug probs and never seen them described when they go bad other then testing them. so im just getting general knowledge before i dive into this project with the only company truck and days of down time troubeshooting

Last edited by LilGuy21585; 11-12-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like a glow plug relay to me, but not sure. Here's a bump for ya.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
You will get the KAM error whenever you disconnect the batteries was it P0603 that happens when you change tunes also

It sounded like a relay was clicking i could not tell if the truck was turning over in you vid? I would start by rechecking your battery and starter connections make sure they are tight

Last edited by Dave; 11-13-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well heres the update after i hunted this morn and sat in the blind all morn i started to do the process of elimination in my head by running down what could be going on. so i checked all the important fusesto the relays, the fuel pumps, pcm, glow plugs and so on. there all good and i noticed after pulling the first fuse.... i solved the radio problem with it shuting on and off on start up (weird)
and yea the truck would turn over in the vid... i tried to start it this morn since i had to move it... nope wasnt happening the darn GFI out let tripped last night and the engine was only 50 degress and it would not fire i almost drained the batt. about to get ready to try starting to night ill post back if i have any luck.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you're having trouble starting UNLESS you have it plugged in, I'd seriously start to look at the electrical circuit to the glow plugs...
Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ight will do just tried starting 92 degress oil temp and so on... nothing so iv got to look around here somewhere and find my haynes book to see where the relays are.. txs guys ill let u know what i find so if any one else ever has this prob it will be an easy fix for anyone else.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Have your batteries checked and clean the battery terminals. The relay clicking is caused by low power while cranking. If that is not your problem then go to the glow plugs. PSD's take a alot of battery to start in the winter. First you have your glowplugs drawing alot of power (they are still on even after the WTS light goes out and while your cranking), then your starter is pulling drawing alot turning over 444 cu in at very high compression ratio and the oil is cold and many other factors. So You need 2 good batteries for a PSD to start well when it starts to get cold out.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Bump might have same prob but mine starts most of the time.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok todays progress.... went out tried to start it again no luck so i rolled up the sleves and started proccess of elimination.

Now first off in theroy if one glow plug went bad is there a chance the rest would atleast try to start the truck??

second i tested the voltage to the relays and checked for the clicks. but by my self i think i only heard one activate and a real faint moan......
both relays had about 10.35 volts running throught and yea i know batts are low chargeing them right now....

third thing i checked i was the lead off the starter soilniod its still firm and anchered securely and cleanly to the terminal... so im at a stand still till i can get some one else to trun the ignition on and see if i can hear 1 or 2 clciks with the glow plug relays...

any other ideas please let me know

ohhh and yes i have called edge and they claim with the juice and attitude it should not have an effect on it being at lvl 2 and unpluging batts... yet if i had my evolution programed i would be crewed if this is PCM or any other electrical prob related

Last edited by LilGuy21585; 11-14-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.