2000 excursion shutting down....Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 excursion shutting down....Help!

First off, this is my first post. I have been reading the forums here for a while and all I can say is what a great place to get information on the powerstrokes.

Here's my problem and I think it's unique since I have a friend who is a Ford Tech kinda stumped so far.

Every morning when I leave for work my truck will shut off usually around 10 minutes after leaving or just about when the truck gets up to operating temp. Brought it into the shop and my buddy ran the codes and said it looked like the CPS. Replaced it and it ran fine the next day. The day after same problem, died after about ten minutes. I bought another CPS and installed it with no results, same problem. Here's the weird part. Only shuts off that one time and runs fine the rest of the day. Been doing this for about 2 weeks. Shuts off that one time in the morning, truck sits all day while I'm working, hop back in it drive it home with no problems. I drive 40 miles one way.

This morning I started the truck in the driveway and let it idle, it died after about ten minutes. One thing I have noticed.....after it dies and I turn the key off and back on if the wait to start light comes on and stays on like a normal cycle the truck will start, and sometimes the wait to start light will flash on real quick and shut off, when this happens the truck won't start. I have checked all the wiring in the engine bay including the harnesses on the valve covers and they all looked good. I have noticed this morning my high idle wasn't kicking in like it normally does. I just can't figure out why it only shuts down once a day. One other thing, this morning when the truck died while idling the O/D light on the shifter lit up for a split second and that's when the truck died. I have had a few instances when the truck will die, I fire it back up and it will hiccup a few times and then run fine.

I have read somewhere that some guys have had to shim the CPS on higher mileage trucks. Mine has 160k on it. I would like to try this but don't know what I should use to shim it.

Oil is at proper level. This problem did start after the last oil change, within a day or two.

Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced something similiar so maybe I can narrow it down before the shop starts sticking a bunch of new sensors in it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me out.

Toby

Last edited by voodookid23; 11-10-2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: add to post: No check engine light since the problem started. All fuses were checked and were good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 03:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Something you might look for are the grounds, not just on the batteries but onthe motor and body. Sound like it might even be a relay
or even ECM.Just my opinion.Here is bump for some more help.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I had the truck in the shop. Tech drove it for 2 days and encountered the same problems I was having. Diagnostic check showed nothing that would pinpoint the problem. They replaced a bunch of relays but to no avail. I'm not sure what to do next. He did put a recorder on the truck and after the truck quit he started recording to try and find out why the truck won't start until the glow plugs cycle all the way, but the recorder won't record when the truck is in the "kill mode" as I call it.

I'll run down the symptoms again and see if anyone has a clue.

When the truck sits overnight and the temperature is below 35degrees (or so) the truck will start perfectly. When the truck is starting to get to normal operating temp it will just die. When I try to restart the "wait to start" will only flash instead of running a normal cycle. This happens usually 5-10 cycles of the ignition, then all of a sudden the glow plugs will run a normal cycle and the truck will start and run perfectly the rest of the day. If its 50 degrees outside truck won't shut down. No check engine light. Grounds are all good. Replaced CPS (twice). New relays (which ones I don't know except that I know he mentioned the pcm relay for sure).

If someone knows what could be causing this that would be great. If someone knows what I can tell the shop to do differently in diagnosing this problem that would be awesome as well. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. I want this fixed really bad otherwise the wife says it has to go. Would I like a new truck? Well yeah sure. Do I want a nice new truck payment? NOPE!

Thanks for taking a look.
TC
Old 11-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I talked my mech today and he said that the last time he read the codes the code he retrieved was a "pcm reset" code. What's causing this?

TC
Old 11-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Banned

sounds to me like a tranny problem and or a low tranny fluid level causing the truck to stall. If the OD light was flashing there has to be tranny codes there, but not all codes are readable from non factory scan tools...
Old 11-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just checked tranny fluid. Level is good and nice and pink. Thanks for the suggestion!!!!

TC
Old 11-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Marc,

Thanks again. Just to clarify, the O/D light only flashed one of the times the truck died. The truck was scanned at the ford shop and didn't come up with any tranny codes. I will attempt to explain a little more about what's happening. The Kill Zone. I call it the kill zone because there is a time frame from start up to about half-way to full operating temperature that the truck will kill. A few times with it idling in the driveway and after about 5-6 minutes of running, if I open the door or turn on the lights or turn the fan for the heat, the truck will quit also. BUT....if I don't do any of these things the truck will still quit on it's own. It seems like while it's in the kill zone any little bit of electrical drain on the system sparks the shutdown.

Hope this helps some, because I am at a loss. My mechanic's next guess is to try another pcm.

TC
Old 11-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Problem is escilating. Drove it to work today and it did it's usual thing, shut down once on the way there and after cycling the ignition a few times she fired up and I finished the trip with no problems. 9 hours later I remote started it and she fired right up and ran for about ten minutes then shut down. After cycling the ignition about 20 times I finally got it to start but then died after a couple seconds. It kept doing this for 4 or 5 times. I decided to leave it there. Sounds like classic CPS symptoms, but I have tried 2 of them since this started to happen. The first one from ford worked for 1 day. The second from car quest (dont' know who manufactured it) didn't work at all.

Another question. I have a hypertech III on it. It is programmed. It will still stall with it uninstalled. My question is this, could the hypertech prevent the pcm from setting a code? You would think that with all the crap this truck is pulling on me that there would be some codes saved, yet the ford shop scanner isn't getting anything.

TC
Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could a glow plug relay or throttle position sensor be causing the stall. This is really becoming a pain in the a.. . Today it shut down on me right next to the dealer, so after I got running again I pulled in there and had my buddy throw the computer on it....No Codes. I'm at a loss. It went 3 days in a row with no problems. My buddy is going to call Ford tomorrow. I'm just wondering if I am wasting my time looking into glow plug relay or TSP. Truck usually starts fine. So I'm thinking the glow plugs are working.

Frustrated.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check the remote start to be sure that everything is operating normally. or just disconnect it completly and try that. no the hypertech shouldnt prevent the pcm from storing codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.