Traveling an broke down.. Christmas help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Traveling an broke down.. Christmas help please

04/6.0 late model
Truck started an I pulled out on road. The more peddle you gave it the worse it got till it stalled. Would not restart. If you leave truck for some time it will restart and idle but as you give it fuel it will only rev to 900 rpm max. It will idle for some time an run very smooth. Again when you give it fuel it will not rev over 900rpm

Background: truck has had ALOT of work done to the motor by me. I am semi good with this motor. I am working out of state in N Carolina (Southport) an have very few tools with me. I believe it to be the IPR but am not sure. I have replaced it when I rebuilt the motor but that was pretty much a year to the day.

I have fuel (clean) at the filter on motor.. It ran great up to this. I was at dinner an started fine an drove away... as I gave it fuel there was NO response. Shortly after it died. If you try and restart motor will turn freely but no start. I have a Edge CST an the throttle positioning showed correct. I was to leave tomorrow for Christmas vacation an head home to West Palm, Florida. If I take this to a Ford dealer I know it won't be fixed till after Christmas. I think I can get to the IPR with the turbo an everything in the way using a long bar an a hammer but don't know it that would even be the problem.

I did disconnect the ICP connection while it was running to see if I could get it to work in limp mode but it ran the same.

I'm stuck from home with very limited resources an I need help.

When I rebuild the motor an started it for the first time after doing the head studs you know how you have to crank it for a long time to build pressure.. It's like that but once it gets running will not rev. An when it does die you can not restart for a long time. As if something needs to bleed off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds like a high pressure oil leak.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 PM

Like the HPOP being bad?? I got 180,000 on it an know that's common but thought it was the early 04 an the 03 that was more common. When I did the heads (been a yr now of heavy trouble free use) I did the upgraded up-pipes an o-rings.

I'm thankful for any help.. I see you over in the performance section once in awhile. I'm really in a bind and I know with everything I got going on Ill panic instead of looking at it with a clear head.

Not sure what I can do to test anything right now. Is there anything I can answer that would be a better way to pinpoint a problem?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 PM

Are you in need of tools or a helping hand? If my truck wasn't rough I would come bring my toolbox and help a fellow powerstroke owner in a heartbeat. Try posting on the cpa chat thread, there are NC members down your way.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 AM

Good looking out. Right now I gotta get a handle on WTF it is or how to figure out what it is. I gotta go to work now an when I get out ill get back to it. At this point I'm pretty sure ill be renting a car to get home for xmass.

Thanks all
Old 12-20-2012, 12:45 AM

I posted up on the NC thread for you, maybe someone local can help or may have tools/diagnostic stuff/ etc. It's probably not much help, but if you need somewhere safe to park your truck or a garage to work I am about 2 hrs away. But I also have a broken 6.0 atm.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:00 AM

Good looking out.. $700.00 to rent a car for my XMass brake.. I can buy a junk car for that.. Or use that toward fixing my truck..
Old 12-20-2012, 02:03 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
At this point without any shop or proper tools to diagnose it you may be better off taking it to a dealer and have it repaired while your on Christmas break. Sorry to hear about this man.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 AM

I just rented a car ($600) I need it till the 7th. Ill post this someplace else (any one know where) does anyone know of a transporter? Ill have it shipped to my house an buy a POS to use while its getting fixed. I'm in N Carolina till May.

Maybe to much info, I'm tired from all the walking I did last night.

Thank you all for help
Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 AM

This company has a good rep among the Powerstroke Gang

Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.