04 6.0 White/Dark Grey smoke pouring out my exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 03:42 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 6.0 White/Dark Grey smoke pouring out my exhaust

I was driving my Excursion yesterday and all seemed fine until I stopped at a light the RPMs were very very low and I had to keep my foot on the gas/brake to keep from stalling. I pulled into a shopping center parking lot and shut it down for about a half hour. When I came back out to it to start it it almost seemed like the batteries were dead (both are 2 months old). It would give crank for half a second and stop dead in its tracks (as if the batteries were dead and it couldn't turn over. I tried a few times and it started but sounded very rough and a TON of white & dark grey smoke poured out my exhaust & under my hood (I know my flex pipe is leaking a little so I am fairly confident that my smoke from under the hood is due to that).

I know that it is not my EGR cooler as I did the bullet proof diesel upgrade. I did replace all 8 injectors and the FICM approx 1 month ago. While the injectors were out I changed the oil with Mobil One and installed new fuel filters. I was reading that a bad injector that is dumping too much fuel into the cylinder can cause the symptoms I experienced.

Does anyone have any input or advice while I am waiting for the shop to diagnose it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Just wondering!!
I have similar problem, as my truck starts ok, but there is a steady stream of smoke out the pipe. My truck starts OK, but as soon a I try to add any throttle, it dies down.
Same problem??
Old 12-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Mine is at the shop now but is behind 3 other trucks so I'll update when I find out. I really do think it's fuel related as all the work I just did with the injectors and FICM.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:07 AM

My mechanic thought that it could have been a problem with the FICM but I had the 58v upgrade done and he was seeing the difference in voltage. According to the company that did the FICM they said to check out the ICP sensor. Does anyone know if the ICP sensor could be causing the symptoms I'm having????

My mechanic did say the scan revealed that my truck would fire up with good fuel pressure to all cyl and then they would lose pressure until the truck stalled.

I may just buy a new ICP sensor and harness as I'm running short on time and getting desperate.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:10 AM

Is there a way to test to determine if I have a sticking injector spool valve? I've read that that could be my problem as well.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 AM

My truck was failing due to a stuck open EGR valve. You mentioned you did BPD egr upgrade, but was it the delete or upgraded cooler?
Just a thought, it only took me 5 minutes to open the hood, pull my bad EGR solenoid and replace it. If you haven't had it in the shop yet, it might be worth it to go check that yourself vs. paying big bucks to the dealer.
I had some hard starting, and white/grey smoke, a steady stream at idle, but when I added some throttle, it really blew out smoke, and seemed like the engine wanted to die out.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 PM

Mine won't stay running. I went to the shop yesterday and pulled the egr. It wasn't too bad but cleaned it too bad. It won't stay running. The shop said today that it starts ok and then one by one the fuel injectors drop in pressure till it dies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.