01 f250 dies over diffrent things?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 f250 dies over diffrent things??

OK I'm new to the diesel thing but i can turn a tool.... but I am lost here with this,,, OK 2001 f250 2 wheel 7.3 249,000. cps(new) GPR(new) two new good batterys.
Well, now it dies when put in reverse or the lights are turned on. I have looked EVERYwere i could for help without ask'n. Put it this way its been 2 months and now are IS300 needs alot of work and we have to park and drive this truck thats why we bought it 3 months ago.. and haven't even got plates on it cause it started this right after we bought it... PLEASE help

it has a hard start and runs a little ruff, When i got the truck their was a relay in the flasher spot and fixed it, took off black wire loom and put on blue and purple loom, for the wife, and i didn't have the die'n problem when i drove hove but after, and the truck had some stuff removed it had some strobe lights and stuff for a work truck. So then I tried the scan tool and had no reading at my scan tool, then got the truck started and now it reads SOME and it tells me that it wont retreave the other info.

well its a real problem for us so PLEASE anyone help, at this point i even look forward to the people that are gonna bust my balls....
and i can turn a wrench way better than i can spell.... sorry for all this but need help bad..

THANK EVERYONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 01:11 AM

lol that was ruff...er.. rough...lol

if your using a code puller throw that thing back in the toolbox.
grab a 20 and run to the local gas station repair shop and bribe the tech into running a buzz test and a cylinder contribution test for you and pull codes.
in 5 min you will be driving away with your data.

also posting in the 7.3 section might get you better and more replies.

get your data and any other readings from a running datastream you can get from the tech... then let us know what you find.

if you are using a quality scantool like a snapon solus or AE on your laptop and still cant do squat... well then its time to chace wires and shotgun parts at the truck... starting with a new ECM
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry didnt no it wasnt..

and I will do the injector test, i all ready took the vavle covers off to make sure the wires were ok. and I didnt check then and i should have.... thats ruff... lol and i thank u for the help. i live in a getto now so none of the gastations have **** but 20, bags of whatever u want BUT a scan tool,,, lol,,

I have had all kinds of stuff happen on this thing that points at every thing!!! thats what has me pissed off, and anywere i take it here, thier gonna shot gun beers then parts at my truck and half will b parts i could have changed...

yesterday after posting this i went and checked the coated signal wires and there were cuts in the foil so I redid it all with new foil and tape after checking for cuts or anything --- found! nothing and after hour of this tryed starting and turning on lights and bang out it goes still....... so will try buzz test, but I am a hillbilly so i mite end up failing the buzz test.... because if this goes ****ty I'm gettin the buzzz,, lol thanks again ,,,

how do i move this??

I just put a few things together and came up with this--- at one point my scan tool would not communicate with my truck, with old bad batterys, then later with both new ones it started running again but hard start and ruff, after running it got better but then my scan tool will hook up now BUT NOT EVERYTHING is communicating it strait out tells you!! and that would be the reason for give'n me problems that come and go!!! RIGHT??? please!! be right... Cuz reading codes is not the same as communicating with the ECU they say...

Last edited by projectf250; 12-07-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: had apphiney (brake threw) I hope
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM

maybe...?

under your dash drivers side behind the parking brake is your ECM
remove the two 8 mm bolts and then under the hood the one 10 mm bolt holding the plug for the wire harness to the ECM. check for connection issues there and inspect your wiring harness as well.

what kind of scanner do you have? is it just a code puller or is it something QUALITY?

if its just a code puller then forget everything it has told you and put it back in your toolbox.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

its a cheaper actron or what ever it has done me alright up till now and like i said i is even try'n..
But a couple hours ago i talked with a head tech at are ford dealer and they told me its a shot and $95.00 hrly and he said would be in light harness somewhere???? one to maybe 5 hrs. i am not to good at it but if u tell me its in that harness I will give it my all, or ??
I do think after i find the short i still have a problem but will see, you have any idea what wire would cause it to die??
I will start by pulling fuses and hitin reverse to see if dies....

thanks for all the help I did kinda put here cause need the truck runnin NOW are lexus is leaking at windshield down on fuse box and relays.. the turn signals went haywire when the switch was off even... had to take out flasher.. and still rainin here... so thanks for the help in any way ..... god bless...
Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM

you can be dealing with multiple issues for sure. and asking me to diagnose an electrical issue on a forum simply will not happen.

you can be dealing with...
1 bad harness
2 bad ECM
3 bad IPR
4 bad ICP
5 bad CPS
6 bad batt cables
7 bad relay(s)

you need to dig my man.... look at a wiring diagram and verify that no one mucked up your wiring in the past jumpering off wires that should not be tapped into.

deffinitely sounds like a basketcase... but if you put in the time you should be able to figure it out.

start tracing the wires for your lights... something there is more than likely pulling power from something it is not supposed to.

this will not be easy... so get digging

best of luck
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry didn't mean like that i just ment if u new what would cause to die if it got power or something.... but never mined it was a dumb thing sorry..
And yes thier is somethin else going on but the short must be got first. I know better than gettin a diagnose like that so my bad didn't quite mean that way. and today i will be diggin..... thanks again, god bless.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 AM

everything I said can cause a no start or kill the truck.
however with your symptoms it sure sounds like power for the lights (including your reverse light) is being pulled from the ECM or IDM power feed wires.

I know its a long shot and i'm probably wrong here because there can be other causes however that would be the FIRST thing I would look into.

good luck
Old 12-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check this out!!! pulled all fuses for any light, start the truck up flip the light switch stays runnin , (not say'n that means anything ) then put in reverse dies.... reverse lights flash. I then pull the lights it DON'T start.. Put driver side light in, no start, pas, light in it fires up... Light are not on.... with runnin I pull passager light it dies......the back-up light I'm talkin about..... Truck will not run with the light bulb pulled out when not on! so I stopped and had to clean the shop to get the truck inside. Will be workin on lexus bushings then the truck.. But at least I no were to start That back light working forward will let you no how it turns out.. I thank you much... god bless
Old 12-14-2012, 05:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so here is were i am, I took out the harness from trans plug back. I pulled the loom off wipe down wire and plugged harness back in at trans and ran out from under truck and pugged lights in and started truck, wiggeled the wires nothing didnt stall.. put it all back in and the truck ran, moved onto front lights. I pulled off loom ON BOTH SIDES AT SAME TIME and now truck WON'T START at ALL...... I did this then went to start and wiggle the harness to see if would die or anything and look I pull both at once instead of one side at a time ,,,, So I ran wires how they were and still won't start so I may pull out WHOLE harness and look it over and find my own way to test, this is NOT my strong point for sure but I'm showing the old lady that I fix **** not talk ****.... But the fact that I just fixed everything on are lexus in a day including removin the windshield and sand blastin and 3 steps of sealer, primer, and paint all before they got here to put in new windshield and with it all dried and hardened with a f***'n heat gun and a short time frame still didn't get a thank u or happy endin........ so I unhooded her radio for few days...... take that right!!!!!

sorry little rant thier.... lol

and today I will be pullin out ..
If anyone can help still need I geuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.