'06 PSD engine suddenly starts clacking, billowing black smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 PSD engine suddenly starts clacking, billowing black smoke

So I'm driving home tonight and get about 180 miles into a 230 mile trip when I come to a stop light and notice the engine idling a bit rough. Thought it was strange as the truck has been running fine at highway speed, nothing unusual. Been monitoring my FICM voltage for couple weeks after throwing a P0611 code. Code was cancelled (Edge Insight monitor) and has not returned.

Anyway, I accelerate from the traffic stop and everything seems to return to normal until I start to slow down as I'm approaching another town about 20 miles down the road. I start hearing a clacking noise getting louder and louder and louder. I stop, pop the hood and the noise seems to be coming from the turbo/alternator area and quite loud. Black smoke is now billowing out of the exhaust and the exhaust tip is pretty heavily sooted. I kill the engine and sit for a short time. When I restart the engine, clacking is still there, but a bit less intense, engine idle is rough as though it is missing and black smoke is pouring out the tail pipe. I kill the engine again and call the wife for a ride home. About an 1-1/2 hours later, just before leaving the rig at the grocery store parking lot, I try the engine again. Starts, but rough idle. Clacking noise is gone, but still have black smoke billowing from the exhaust.

I get no codes whatsoever. Insight readouts appear normal - FICM voltage at 48+ volts, Battery voltage at 13.8 volts, EOC is 6 degrees below EOT (where it usually stays after I did the coolant flush & ELC procedure).

Are there other parameters I should be looking at that the Insight will display? The truck is 60 miles from home, but only a couple from a mechanic. I prefer to do the work myself, but would have to drive 60 miles with a couple steep climbs on the way.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Truck is all stock, 93k miles, just changed air, oil, fuel filters & had the EGR valve cleaned at about 91k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Apparently this isn't a hot topic. Replaced the FICM (had it repaired by FICMRepair.com actually) put it back on the truck, charged both batteries while she was down.

Fired right up, but the smoke kept billowing from the exhaust. Drove it for a few miles to see if it would clear up, but no luck. Smoke is actually white/gray and the clicking noise is still audible, but greatly diminished.

Now I either have to drive the truck for 50 miles to get her home to replace injector(s) or bend over and pay $700 in labor at the shop.

Can anyone tell me if driving the truck for this distance with an apparent stuck open injector will cause additional damage?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Problem is no ones gonna answer that. Could be a little wisp of smoke and just a hint of extra fuel and you'll be fine or it could be a lot of extra fuel and you risk hydrolock and I don't think anyone is gonna jump up and say go for it.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:10 PM

I'm having a similar problem but my mechanic won't condemn the injectors yet. It starts out with 2 faulty injectors and then it increases to 5 then stalls. Same symptoms as you are having. I just had all 8 injectors replaced and they are under warranty so I brought the truck to the shop thinking they would be able to diagnose which injector is bad so I can pull it and ship it back but I have not had luck with that yet. I am getting the p0611 and p0611-60 codes but according to allcomputerresouces.com who just rebuilt my FICM when I had it apart for the injectors say it is normal b/c I did the 58v upgrade.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:02 AM

Can't anyone offer any advice for us?!? Someone has had to have experienced something similar
Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 PM

Looks like mine is at least one bad injector. My engine is locked b/c a piston is full of fuel. We are pulling the glow plugs to try to turn the engine over to get rid of the fuel.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 PM

My truck had 2 injectors that were stuck open dumping fuel into the cyl. I just replaced all 8 injectors 700 miles ago. Had to pull the glow plugs, unplug the FICM and crank it to get rid of the fuel. Now to ship the injectors back. Wish I could return them all 8 and purchase somewhere else...I'm not very confident in this truck at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.