FUEL PUMP ISSUES - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FUEL PUMP ISSUES

I am new to this forum so I apologize if this is not posted in the correct forum. I could not find anything listed for fuel pump problems. I own a 2001 excursion with the 7.3, I have been having problems with the truck just shutting off while it is idling. I can hear the fuel pump trying to prime for a few seconds then it primes and shuts off. Truck starts up just fine after that. It will run for about 30 seconds and then shut off again. each time it shuts off I can hear the fuel pump trying to prime. I have been driving the truck and it only seems to turn off while it is in park. My thoughts were that it is the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator. I would appreciate any feedback or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Why do you think you're hearing "priming" instead of just "pumping"?

Here's how it works, because there is a safety issue with having the fuel pump continuing to run with the engine off, after say an accident, the PCM shuts the pump off after @15secs.

So, if you roll the key to the On position, you're only going to hear the pump run for that long. That's the way it's supposed to work... It's not running so as to build pressure and satisfy a sw, it's just timed-out

The "Shutting Off" at idle is certainly a problem though, unlikely to be fuel starvation though. You'll have those issues at high rpm first because the pump can't keep up. It's really not using much of the pumps output to idle. I'd be thinking something else...

Does your truck have a Trans Temp Gauge in the cluster? (There was a Major electrical revision during the '01 run) If it does not have that gauge then you can see the function of the CPS (a more likely culprit) in the Tach. If, while you're trying to restart after it stalls, you see the tach needle move up slightly (indicating engine rpm on the starter) the CPS is functioning. If you do have the gauge, maybe just change it! EVERYBODY should carry a spare in the glovebox anyway, so even if it didn't fix this you'd have your old one as a spare.

You can always test if you've actually starved for fuel (maybe you have another common issue in the tank with a cracked pick-up) by NOT letting the pump run after it stalls and opening the drain (yellow lever behind the filter housing) and see what comes out (3/8s metal tube against the motor, above the pass ft tire) and comparing to what's there after you let the pump run, key On, for a cycle or two. That will tell you if the bowl was empty when it stopped running.

How's it run otherwise?

Is the tank below 1/4?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck runs good. The tank was full when it stalled during idling. It was parked on a little bit of a slope. I took your advice and changed out the CPS. It seems to run better now. I will just have to wait and see if it stalls again while its idling. Funny thing is I have a friend who had the same issue other than his truck would run for a few seconds and then stall when he went to move it. He thought the CPS could have been the problem too. He actually made the same comment about having a spare one in the glove box. If it still wants to stall I will look at some of the other problems you mentioned and see what I can find out. Thanks for commenting I appreciate the feedback. Sorry it has taken so long to respond, I commute a long ways to work and my week got the better of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.