PLEASE HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PLEASE HELP

Hello Guys, Need some help please. I have a 2002 4X4 7.3 extended cab that is stock with the exception of 33" tires and a small Hypertech 30 hp programer. The truck died about a week ago and has been hard to start ever since. I replaced the fuel drain assy on the filter housing in hopes that that would fix the problem. it has been seeping for about a month now. after I replace it the problem persisted. I checked the lift pump, but it has plenty of pressur and volume... I also checked the return piston and spring,I went so far as to streatch rhe return sprin a bit to add some restiction. the engine is hard to start, and when it does it clatters and then runs rough for a few minutes then clatters and dies as if it ran out of fuel. Could it be the high pressure oil pump? and if so how do I check it? Thank you for your help.
Big Daddy Ron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Has this just started with cold weather? This time of year, faulty Glow Plug Systems (that haven't been needed for many months) show-up. Are you sure everything is what it should be with the plugs & relay? Does this happen on a, warm, restart?

To test if it's fuel related, next time it dies like that, open the drain and see if there's the usual amount of fuel in the bowl.

As for the HPOP, you need a scanner that will monitor the ICP pressure. In fact, that would be the Best way to narrow stuff down. Have the right scanner (Not a generic OBD-II, they don't do it for us) connected and watch what's going on as it dies...
Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks NoRalPhs... Yes, it is hard to start even after it has run for a while. Also I live in Texas, it has not been that cold here. I guess I will have to borrow a scanner. It figures I keep impecable mantinance on the thing and try not to abuse her much, and she gets to that magical 150k mile marker and lays down on me... RIGHT At Christmas.. Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.