Need Help. Stalled out. codes 603, 606, 783 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help. Stalled out. codes 603, 606, 783

Started truck this am and fired up fine. Backed out of the driveway and when I gave it some pedal it got real smooth and then died. I started it up again and it limped 50 yards down the road and died. Cranked up twice out of 10 tries after tapping on the CPS so I went to the dealer and put a new one in. Still nothing when I crank it. It's only 60 degrees outside. Any ideas. Need to drive home about 3 hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key?

Tach Movement? - does the tach needle move up slightly when cranking?

Fuel - pump runs? Fuel refilling filter housing? Tank below 1/4?

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking really slowly.

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 AM

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key?
WTS comes on and cycles correctly.
Tach Movement? - does the tach needle move up slightly when cranking?
Tach moves up slightly when cranking
Fuel - pump runs? Fuel refilling filter housing? Tank below 1/4?
Fuel pump is mechanical. Fuel bowl full, Front tank full.
Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking really slowly.
I'm going to charge the batteries because I've been cranking it alot. It still turns over fine.
Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.
Supertuner was installed(how I read the codes). I have returned it to stock.

Also took off passenger side VC. Everything looks good.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK, well that's the easy stuff

The 606 comes back "P0606-PCM Inactive Background Fault" OR "P0606 PCM processor fault Internal PCM failure". Not sure what that means, doesn't sound good but, the WTS is a good sign the PCM is running at least!

The 783 is a Transmission code so, not part of this and the 603 is just a common KAM memory we all have sometimes because the PCM went unpowered at some point...

Take a look at the ICP and the IPR maybe next and drain and refill the fuelbowl to check delivery & quality (like no water). How long has the filter been in there?

Make sure the IPR plug looks good (no bare wires) and the nut that retains the solenoid hasn't vibrated off. Try unplugging the ICP so the PCM sets a default pressure for the IPR to run on as a test. If it runs with the ICP unplugged, it's bad.

Not sure what else to check, it'd be good if you could could get it on a real scanner to buzz the injectors and monitor the HiPres oil values in the ICP/IPR...
Old 11-24-2012, 05:36 PM

Thanks for putting some thought into this. I ended up clearing the codes and all of the codes I listed above went away and it began showing code 1668. I found out that was a code related to the IDM and a ground or short. Still wouldn't start after cranking it. So I disconnected the batteries and the IDM and PCM and began testing resistance. I got a few circuits tested and the sun began to go down so I decided to put it all back together. Once it was all buttoned up I tried to start it and the truck fired right up. I turned it off and on a few times,no problem. I even drove it about 30 miles and it ran better than it did yesterday. I have a feeling the performance setting on the Supertuner did something to the IDM that it didn't like or I just moved something around and accidentally fixed the short. Lets hope it doesn't decide to die on the side of the Highway tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.