Early 1995 No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Early 1995 No Start

Need a little help with a month long no start on a 7.3 from the first series Powerstroke. Here is what I have so far:
Tach jumps up as normal and a new CPS installed
Cleaned fuel system...holds 20 pounds for about 10 minutes after cranking
Plenty of oil in HPOP reservoir
Installed rebuilt HPOP after getting 200 pounds cranking
Still get 2-300 pounds cranking
Installed new IPR valve...still 300 pounds cranking
Checked voltage at IPR wire...10.4 volts
12.8 volts at both PCM input pins
Glow plug system works, cycles as supposed to
Switched all relays and all fuses are good
No frayed or chafed wires in the loom

Not sure whether to change out PCM or IDM first. Need advice from a guru. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via MSN to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~CrazyDiesel~
ICP drops off right after you stop cranking doesn't it? I would bet money on at least one cylinder the upper o-rings are blown out on the injector, OR an o-ring has blown out of the oil rail plugs, but not as likely to cause a no-start. Fuel pressure also seems low, but I am not familiar with 1st Gens. The reason I am so sure on this, is, you stated it was 200 PSI before HPOP and 300PSI after. Old truck=worn HPOP and the difference in pressure tells me that the old HPOP was weak. If you're not seeing visible oil leaks, then it's going to be under the valve covers. Replace all 8 o-ring sets. Speaking of the oil rail plugs. They like to strip out. I let them be. I drain the fuel rails from the back of the heads and pull the injectors 1-3-5-7 and 2-4-6-8 then I pull one battery positive and place heavy towels over the heads and crank the engine for 10 seconds. If I am replacing GPs I do the same but with the GPs out. Seeing as you have no easy way of stopping fuel flow, I would pull the glow plugs AFTER re-installing the injectors. Go ahead and replace the GPs while you are there, they're cheap.

We had a 2000 that blew O-rings twice in a row. First time it was #4. Replaced the o-rings... customer wanted to replace just the one because of $$, (saved what... $50?) stuck it back in and good as new. Somehow, it was sealing itself, despite being completely blown out. It would pump oil until you sniffed it with ether and it would seal itself and run perfect, but would not self-start. A week later, it's back... no start again. Thinking "well it's blown #4 again". Pull driver's side VC and crank it and don't see oil going everywhere. Turns out #7 went out. So now, get to thinking.. "there's something going on" and get the customer to get us to replace all o-rings. Turns out the customer had injectors put in a few months prior and the top hold-down bolt on every injector was loose and the injectors were not completely seated.

Look at the top o-rings on these injectors, these are from the aforementioned truck, of the 7 remaining injectors, 5 were blown out, or almost blown out. It was a learned lesson for all involved.

Last edited by ~CrazyDiesel~; 11-19-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Early 1995 No Start

Will check for leaking oil around the injectors. Did not check that yet...didn't even think of checking for leak. If this is not the problem will probably go on to change out the PCM. Thanks for the lesson!!!! This one has 200,000 klicks on it and the injectors have never been replaced. New glow plugs is cheap insurance anyway.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via MSN to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~CrazyDiesel~
You may not be able to see the oil leaking if it's multiple ones. Hpo system is low volume. If you're building 300psi now, if you can get it spinning fast enough it will probably overcome the leak and run. I would run it off ether and see if it it picks up and runs before I did anything else. Can you look at IPR duty cycle? It's probably going to be at 65%. To ether it. Wait for gps to go off... crank and start sniffing it... give it a little more at the time til it begins to speed up cranking then spray it heavier. The trick is to sneak up on it.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Early 1995 No Start

Yes, that does work to get it up to speed. Did not get any higher oil pressure as it ran on jimmy juice. Removed both valve covers and couldn't see any oil leaking from the base of the injectors. Pretty sure the o-rings are ok. Nothing out of place in the overhead around valves or injectors.
Went on to pull the PCM and the IDM. The PCM looked as had been wet...had a lot of rust like the cab had leaked lots of rain on it. Will take the PCM in for repair and go from there. All pins looked good. Real job getting the PCM out but if the job was easy....
More update after PCM repair.
We did try the scan tool. The PCM must have been dead already because the scan tool didn't communicate with it.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 PM

Oh, well, you hadn't stated you couldn't communicate with the PCM. I assumed you were reading oil pressure off of a scan tool, but you have a physical gauge hooked up. You might be on the right path there. I think we have a couple NOS Ford PCMs if it is deemed to be bad.

Let me be clear that, I have zero personal experience with the 1994.5-1997 trucks, but, on later trucks, the communication port under the dash; it's power comes from the fuse that powers the power point/cig. lighter. If the fuse is blown, you will not get communication, but you said you checked all fuses. Only certain scan tools will communicate with that thing too.

I am still leaning towards it being a high pressure oil issue, but I am highly subject to be wrong.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Early 1995 No Start

The good news is that the PCM is being tested and rebuilt and will have a lifetime warranty. Not too spendy at $335.
If this solves the problem then it will be a bargain at this point. Did not send in the IDM because it has nothing to do with setting high oil pressure...correct me if I'm wrong.
Will continue this post next week when I get the unit back.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Early 1995 No Start

Finally getting back to follow up the fix to no start. Got the PCM back and the 7.3 came to life. It was a transistor in the HPOP loop in the PCM. Let it run for about an hour to get all the lines purged and circulated (cleaned).
Sure glad "Crazy Diesel" came along and headed me in the right direction. It runs strong. Does have minor problem of intermittent miss at idle sometimes. The check engine light comes on same time it starts to miss. Will chase the CE light after getting a few more miles on the rig. Thanks for the help!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.