08 6.4L smoke when engine hot and loss of power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 6.4L smoke when engine hot and loss of power

Please help.

My 2008 6.4L f350 (75K miles) just started blowing lots of white smoke when the temperature gauge is midway (engine hot). Then the truck starts acting strangely with power loss, strange noise from turbo after letting off the gas. Strange thing is it only blows the smoke out for a few seconds then done. It does this every time I drive it now so it cant be regen every time.

So here are the facts:

I put a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank and on the next tank of fuel is when I started having problems.

I am not getting a check engine light. (I think that is odd)

Engine runs good until temp gets midway (engine is hot)

Live in Western PA so it is Fall here cool temps, low humidity.

Coolant reserve is full and have been checking (when the truck is cold) daily.

I am planning to take to the dealer this week but I am out of warranty. I was hoping someone has seen this or at least console me for the anticipated repair bill.

Thanks!

Last edited by PMF1; 11-19-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

don't tell them about the Seafoam!

you probably tore up something in the fuel system
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via MSN to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~CrazyDiesel~
Seafoam is an additive like any other. You need to get a whiff of the smoke, see what it smells like. Is there soot in the tailpipe? Could actually be having a problem with the DPF, or, since you say the turbo sounds funny, a blown exhaust side seal letting oil in the exhaust. If it winds up being a prpblelem with the DPF, you may have a leg to stand on with your low mileage.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well the truck is at the Ford dealer now so we'll see what the issue is. You suggestion about the blown side exhaust seal makes sense. When I drove it to the dealer this morn it ran okay (temp was 36 Deg outside). But the engine still did not sound quite right.

as a side note, when I opened the hood yesterday I noticed soot in the engine compartment. I have never noticed that before as I like to check my fluid levels regularly.

Thanks for your post!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay I got the official diagnosis from Ford. I have 2 bad fuel injectors. Good news is that there is a 5yr diesel engine warranty so its covered.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 AM

Seafoam is not an additive like any other. It is a detergent/cleaner. It is thinner than diesel and reduces lubricity. You might as well just add gasoline...

Don't put seafoam in a common rail fuel system please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CrazyDiesel~ View Post
Seafoam is an additive like any other. You need to get a whiff of the smoke, see what it smells like. Is there soot in the tailpipe? Could actually be having a problem with the DPF, or, since you say the turbo sounds funny, a blown exhaust side seal letting oil in the exhaust. If it winds up being a prpblelem with the DPF, you may have a leg to stand on with your low mileage.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I picked the truck up after Ford had it for 2 weeks due to difficulty in getting the relplacement injectors.

The engine is definatly running better than it did. No hesitation or chugging. But about a 2 miles from the Dealer I laid a nice cloud of smoke. It did not smoke after that. When I got to work I called my service rep at the dealer and told him about it. The service rep told me that since it sat for an extended period that the EGR valve may have had buildup and the smoke was a result of the soot being blown out of the EGR.

I will see what happens on my way home today but I just wanted to know if what the service rep said is accurate. I also did not notice a "Clean Exhaust message" so not sure if there was a DPF regen cycle.

Last edited by PMF1; 12-06-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well got smoke again on the drive home. No loss of power so I must attribute that to the bad injectors. I checked my coolant level and seems to be good.

Going back to Ford and will see if they will check out the EGR valve.

If anyone knows, has suggestions or has experienced anything similar please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.