'03 7.3 cuts off won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'03 7.3 cuts off won't start

I have an F-350 that has been running great except for a couple of days ago. I was driving home from work and with no signs of running rough or check engine light the motor just cut off and would not restart. Next day go out put the key in it and it starts right up with no problem. No loss of performance, no check engine light, handheld scanner shows nothing. Just on my way home from work today and it did it again, same thing. Tach moves when trying to start, WTS light comes on, just sounds like it is not getting fuel at all. Batteries are brand new. Fuel filter is pretty new. No recently installed mods. Oil level checks out fine. Please help I am at a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: Met the wrecker truck just a few minutes ago to get the truck. Before he put it on the flat bed I jumped in the truck turned the key and damn thing fired right up no problem. This is the second time it has done this and in both cases the truck had been sitting for at least 2 hours and then started right back up again. Any ideas or plan of attack would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't have a deffinative answer for you, but I would start with all the usual suspects.

I know you said the tach was moving, but i would swap out the CPS first and go from there
Old 10-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I'll give that a try tomorrow. The only bad thing about it is the truck is throwing no codes and I would not be able to find out if it works unless I drive the truck around for awhile and see if it cuts off. Other vehicles I have had have thrown codes for bad crank or cam sensors and they still ran, they just ran like crap. But since it is only a 23.00 part I am all about replacing it in hopes that it works. One thing I did notice is that when I unplugged the ICP to see if it would start the ICP is leaking oil through the sensor and in to the connector so I am imagining that the ICP probably needs to be replaced too. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just as a note - on an '03, the Tach will NOT move up like it does on the earlier truck (mid - '01 and down) and is Not an indication of a bad CPS. I think though it sounds enough like a CPS problem that it would be the first thing to try
Old 10-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just changed the cam sensor drove the truck and as soon as it got up to temp it shut off with no warning again. I let it sit 1 1/2 hour go back to the truck and dang thing starts up drive it back home but before I get there it reaches operating temp cuts off. Please help.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What CPS did you put in it? Where did you get it?

Those are classic Bad CPS symptoms. Could be something else of course, how long does it run though. 2mins? 5mins? 10mins? 20mins? Is it fairly predictable at what ever interval it runs for? What about the restart - does it run as long after the 1-1/2hr as it did after being dead cold? (that would tell you if it were actually heat related as opposed to oil delivery or something else)
Old 10-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This morning I changed the cps (autozone - duralast) started the truck let it idle for 15 min got in the truck and drove approx another 15 min before it shut off. After it sat for an 1-1/2 hours (according to the temp gauge it hadn't completely cooled down but close) I started and drove about 10 minutes and it shut off again. There are no codes or check engine light, it does not run poorly, still has all the power and no hint that it is about to die. It just dies. While the truck would turnover and not start I hooked scanner up to it and while it is cranking I'm registering 175 (rpm) while it is cranking.

Last edited by jnightrod; 10-28-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK. So I went out drove it around a little made sure I came back to the house before it got to operating temp. Let it sit there idiling for about ten minutes. All gauges showed good no mil and then stopped running. Is it possible that there is another sensor that communicates with the pcm that is incorectly giving it a signal that the vehicle is overheating? If the engine oil temp sensor is bad would it cause this at the same time not throwing any codes. I ordered an AE to see if I can monitor what is going on. Hopefully someone has some ideas and I dont have to evacuate tonight because of the hurricane. Its already starting to flood.

Last edited by jnightrod; 10-28-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright for anyone who cares and may search this later on it looks as now the truck is fixed. I changed the engine oil temp sensor and the oil. Took it for a small drive to get it up to operating temp and it shut off again. So I started removing every plug to a sensor in the engine bay and inspecting it for defects and oil then trying to restart. I grabbed the ipr and it damn near burnt through my hand. The solenoid got hot enough to start melting the rubber seal in the plug. I drove up to Ford purchased another one and installed it. Truck fired right up and you could immediately tell a difference. The motor was alot quieter running than it was before. I have not noticed any change in performance other than it is alot quieter. Just definetly glad to have the truck up and running again. Of course I have another repair to make now as I was checking for leaks around the new ipr i noticed that the fuel bowl drain valve has a leak. But that is an easy fix and I have the truck back on the road. Thanks for the suggestions to get the truck up and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.