04 Ford Excursion 6.0 Died NEED HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 Ford Excursion 6.0 Died NEED HELP

I purchased this truck 3 months ago. Just made my third payment on it. Ok so I was driving the truck home and it had just made it to say 170 degrees and the oil pressure sensor in the dash fell to nothing thinking i had ran the truck out of oil I killed it. Checked the oil on the dipstick it was full. I pulled the truck home and let it set. Later that afternoon I went outside and tried to start the truck. It took me a little bit of cranking but she finally fired up. I drove the truck to the end of the culdisack something like 100 yds and on my way back the oil pressure gauge fell. So i drove back and parked it. The next day i cranked and cranked and cranked and finally it started right up. Again i drove it to the end of the cul-di-sack and on the way back the oil pressure gauge fell again but this time i was able to use the gas pedal to make the gauge go up stay for a second then fall, again I would push the pedal let off and the gauge would raise for a second then fall. Next day or two later I went outside and cranked and cranked and now no start. I have icp at greatest 40psi, battery 11.94, ficm 47.5-49 volt, icpr 15-85% while cranking. I have autoenginuity with the ford package i can use to get more info if needed. i need help as I think its the pump or the icpr mabe a leak but thats a lot of parts to just be throwing at a truck to make it run. I love my 6.0 excursion but its no good setting in the driveway dead. If you have any help I sure could use it. I need to also know as i have a setup to pressure test through the icp but i dont know excactly what i need to remove to find or listen for leaks. THanks for any help in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds like a classic case of hpo leak with only 40 psi icp pressures. Also get them batteries out and on a charger before you kill your ficm.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What do you suggest to look for to find the leak. Does the 04 truck sticker build 01/04 have a good stc fitting or bad and should i look into the dummy plugs any suggestion
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Yours doesn't have an stc fitting or standpipes or dummy plugs if the truck is a 01/04 build. To be completely honest I would have to say your suffering from a failing high pressure pump.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do believe that I do have a late model 6 as the icp sensor is located on the right valve cover rather than under the turbo. If this is true do I have the STC fitting and the wavy style covers over the injectors. sorry for all the questions just trying to get as much info to make an educated guess and go for it after that. thanks again
Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

I replied to your pm and yes you have the wavy style oil rails with standpipes and dummy plugs but no stc fitting as you still have the old style pressure pump. I also gave you directions on how to further diagnose this issue in the pm. Good luck and let me know of this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuscany For This Useful Post:
yarby (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 12:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wanted to say thanks for all the help. Just to close this posting I found that the oil seal just behind the hpop had been pushed out and was leaking enough oil to cause the whole problem. I went to diesel site and picked up a better pump to remove a bad problem. cost me a small fortune but its done. I am finally getting ready to put new standpipes and dummy plugs and ball cup orings and top injector orings so that all the possible leaks will be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.