7.3 wont start today and previous loss of power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 7.3 wont start today and previous loss of power

Hello
I have a 2001 f350 7.3L
Recently I have replaced the drivers side battery (which the pass. checks out fine)
and the alternator
fuel filter
serp. belt

Problem - this goes back throughout the last month - the first onset of the problem arose with when i would try to drive forward (not noticed in reverse) i would have a loss of power - regardless of how much i pushed the pedal down there would be a slow increase in actual speed of the vehicle with no increase of RPM - the first time this happened was a chilly morning - second time was middle of afternoon at 70F - so temp hasnt been a direct issue - the most recent time was yesterday - on the way to work and it was cold - it had the loss of power issue where it would slowly pull away but then when it got to a certain point (i wasnt watching so i cant indicate a certain speed or rpm) it kicked in fine then the same thing happened after work on the way home - - loss of power when pulling away then after going a couple hundred feet it acted fine - on the way home i had to stop at a few red lights and i was curious if this problem would only happen when pulling away from a stop and it drove fine then - also when going 25 and stepping into the pedal it kicks down fine - the problem only seems to arise the first time you start it up ..... until today .....
this morning i jump in and turn the key on .. wait for the "wait to start" light to go off then crank the engine and it just cranks and cranks so i wait a second then it cranks and cranks and start to turn over and chug a little then when it seems like its going to start and i stop turning the key the engine dies and makes a weird blow out sound - you hear air released - seems like turbo or something releasing pressure

I dont have a vehicle scanner but when the problem with loss of power happened a few weeks ago i take it to my local shop that works on diesels and they scanned it and there were no problems and they couldn't replicate any issues so i took it home and it was fine for the last week or two until the last two days

any thoughts?
when i only had the loss of power at take off i thought it might have been the acceleration switch/ idle validation switch thats on the pedal but after the problem this morning im thinking its something with the turbo

any help is greatly appreciated - btw this is my first diesel ive owned so if your explaining something please give a good description without any shortcuts or quick references

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 AM

got it to start

i got it to turn over and start - still wasnt nice - it cranked and i pushed the pedal and gave it a little fuel then it started and i held the pedal down a little letting it idle at say 1200rpm for a little
then after releasing the pedal it idled at 550-600 rpm (normal )
i stood at the front with the hood up listening to it idle for 5-10 minutes
during that time i randomly hear a tick/clicking sound
sometimes it just ticks and continues to idle normally then other times itll tick and raise the idle to about 1000 rpm
im thinking theres something electrical now - kind of looking back at the idle validation/accleration switch on the gas pedal again
im going to take it off and check for any corrosion
are there any idle solenoids or anything like that i should be looking at under the hood
Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 AM

replaced the idle valdiation switch / gas pedal assembly and so far no problems

if anyone ever has an issue where they seem to have no power or lack of power for 5 or 10 second when they first pull away and they have chekced their fuel filter then check this sensor

it is on the floor and gets dirty and from what i have found out and talked around is somewhat a common issue across different makes and models
Old 10-11-2012, 06:18 PM

so i replaced the idle validation sensor and the problem went away from a couple of days ... then it came back today

and the weird thing is that up until now the problem has only ever happened the first time i pulled away from a location and not at any other time i have stopped at a light or sign but today there was no power increase when i pulled away from my house and then at the first light i had to stop and when i pulled away there was no power as well....
after that it was fine and when i pushed into the gas it would kick down and then when i drove home it fired up and no problems

is there something that needs to build up for the turbo that isnt?
sensor for turbo or something?
suggestions
thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM

does anyone have any ideas about it possibly being ICP or EBP
Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

LOL my truck is acting the same way... it just will not pull itself anymore. It will maybe get to 25 mph. I have not fixed it yet but I will tell you what I have tried.

fuel filter
new fuel
low pressure pump
map sensor
IDM
unplugging ICP

On the list to try.

check fuel pressure regulator spring/seat
UVCH
wastgate/EBPC
Old 10-20-2012, 11:11 AM

i looked into the exhaust back pressure sensor - the sensor was clogged with carbon build up and the tube leading into it was clogged - so far problem hasn't reoccured
Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know my ebps is bad. the scanner says its reading like 5000psi which is physically impossible... I was under the impression this would not keep it from running.... I guess I'll throw one on..
Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 PM

i checked my exhaust back pressure sensor and it was clogged with carbon residue - completely clogged and the line leading into it was also completely clogged.
After cleaning those out I haven't had the problem replicate. A new problem that came up as i took care of this is my oil temp gauge always reads the temp is at 2/3. Even after starting it up over night the gauge reads instantly that the oil is warm which i know it isnt.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.