Turbo Bolwn or blowing up? 2003 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Bolwn or blowing up? 2003 6.0

Ok, A few weeks ago I noticed it was whistling real loud at idle. It would go away once i reved the engine. Then just a few days a go it started to sound like a vacuum cleaner. It made this strange noise that sounded like "whoooooooo" and it just went up with the revs. Just today the vacuum cleaner noise comes from the "whooo" to a squealing/screeching noise when you rev the engine. It does not happen all the time but is happening more frequently the longer i drive it. The vanes seem to be sweeping and it is putting out boost. My guess is it is a bearing failure. Can i just rebuild it myself? and does the shaft have to be rebalanced? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Btw,I already parked the truck to avoid further damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 PM

I have an 06 and mine started doing that yesterday too. WTH? Truck has 90k and has not been abused.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker Stroker View Post
I have an 06 and mine started doing that yesterday too. WTH? Truck has 90k and has not been abused.
I would imagine I'm not the only one with this problem being the 6.0 out sold Cummins and Duramax sales combined. Some one else had to cross the issue or rebuilt the turbo by themselves.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

So u guys saying when u crank it up cold it starts to idle up. I know mine does it when the temp is at a certin degree it idle up n u cut it off by pressing the break pedal or fuel pedal how cool is it where u ate at night ?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch250 View Post
So u guys saying when u crank it up cold it starts to idle up. I know mine does it when the temp is at a certin degree it idle up n u cut it off by pressing the break pedal or fuel pedal how cool is it where u ate at night ?
Please forgive me, I don't quite understand what your trying to ask or tell me. The truck will go though the "vane sweep" as it idles after the software update.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 AM

Mine seems to run fine, however Thursday morning after I shut it off I heard a squealing/whistle sound. Sounded like a bearing or something from the Turbo. The truck has never done this before. This started Thursday and it does it about 1 out of two times I turn the truck off.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:20 PM

I appreciate all the input. But however people telling me "I have the same problem" is not helping me at all. They sold over 100,000 6.0's so I would imagine I'm not the only one to have this issue. I'm not in anyway trying to be rude but I am trying to figure out the best route to fix the turbo in the most economical way possible with out just throwing parts at it hoping to fix it. I know replacing the whole turbo would fix it but IF I can just rebuild it it would save me a lot of money. I am very well mechanically inclined and ASE certified in 5 different areas. Also any info given to me will help all the people who have the same problem. Once again, I'm not trying to be rude but trying to just keep the forum full of good information.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker Stroker View Post
Mine seems to run fine, however Thursday morning after I shut it off I heard a squealing/whistle sound. Sounded like a bearing or something from the Turbo. The truck has never done this before. This started Thursday and it does it about 1 out of two times I turn the truck off.
To me that sounds like a bearing failure. the turbo will still spin for a bit after shutting the engine off. Most likely a bearing rebuild will fix that. Any metal in the intake, exhaust, or oil?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Climb under your truck and check your up-pipe and your y-pipe going to the turbo for leaks. You should see some soot around any area that is leaking.

I'll use the "I have the same problem" line because my passenger side up-pipe is cracked and it makes a high pitched squeal/whine at different times. I thought it was a turbo bearing at first because it has that kind of a sound to it!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check your shaft play, maybe the fins are starting to rub. And as for rebuilding these turbos. you can't. I have tried. i had one that spat out an exhaust seat though the turbo, we fixed the engine, when we took the turbo apart we found a couple of the fins on the turbine broke, and bits of metal indebted in the veins. trying to get parts for these is damn near impossible, so we just cleaned everything up and put it back on the truck as it was since the owner said it was okay and didn't have the money for a new one. truck is still running strong to this day and it has been over a year and a half now. anyway, i had to trace down the big clamp that holds the exhaust side of the turbo together. it kinda looks like a big down pipe or y pipe clamp. i think they call it a marmon clamp. but to get one of those i went to a company that all they do is rebuild turbos and they gave me a used one they had laying around and told me in order to get just that clamp, you have to get the entire half of that turbo with it. so they don't really just sell the parts and they are really precise. your best bet would be to get a rebuilt one for around 850 is what i have seen them priced at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.