Engine in need of ER - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 12:01 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Engine in need of ER

Ok on my way home from work. My truck started lugging and chugging. I got home no check engine light, white/grey smoke out the exhaust as if I ma starving the engine for fuel. Even in park when you rev up the engine a bit it chugs and has bad diesel knock. I have a feeling I lost an injector or 2. I am thinking oil change, check the hpop level, and possibily do an injector buzz test if I have the equipment. That is my starting point.

Injector Buzz test I know tells you if the injectors are working then you can do an injector contribution test to see how well they are working. But I have not done an injector buzz test before. So what is needed to do this test. If possible one of the techs could call me. Scuffy, StrokeTech, Marc I know your north hunting.

Number is 5176730659, I wouldn't be so pushy but my truck is my means of transportation and I do need it everyday.

I am thinking also that the CPS could be going bad again. But I won't be able to swap that out till monday at the earliest being the weekend I can not get one from the dealer till then.

Last edited by bigcountrysg; 10-20-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 12:24 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Ok it is a deffinate miss. At least one cylinder is missing. I checked the UVC connections they look good I see no problems with them. I hate to pull the valve covers if I do not have to.

Hpop level is good, engine level is good, checked for codes no codes can be pulled by my scanner. So I guess it is good old diagnosing.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

when i checkd my injs. after getting the valve cover off, and engine running, i disconnected them one at a time to see if any differance occured. plug it back in and move to the next one.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:27 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 099f350 View Post
when i checkd my injs. after getting the valve cover off, and engine running, i disconnected them one at a time to see if any differance occured. plug it back in and move to the next one.
Yeah I know you can do that but I really do not want to pull the valve covers off. The driverside would be the one I do first then the passenger side. I guess I will have no choice but to pull the covers off and inspect the UVC and go from there.

154,000 miles on the truck. The only engine problem I have ever had was a CPS. I guess my time was due for something to go wrong.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:01 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Update, drove to gas station. Got 10 gallons of fresh diesel in the tank. As soon as that fresh diesel hit the injectors the rough running stopped and engine runs smooth now. But I have another problem which means i have to drop the fuel tank and find out why my gauge is off by 1/4 tank.

Reminds me of the movie slingblade "ain't got no gas!." well my problem was I ain't got no diesel. I am glad it was just that.

Sorry for jumping the gun but right now times are a bit tight and I thought the worse. Don't really have the money for an expensive repair bill.

Last edited by bigcountrysg; 10-20-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

have you put the new valve harness clips on yet?
maybe if your lucky they wiggled loose alittle, and you just have a bad connction.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

that seems to be a common prob. with these tanks, i aways go by my trip meter, once i hit 500 miles i fill up again, which usually reads 1/4 tank.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:25 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Ok so I dropped the tank today. I checked the fuel level sending unit out by using a volt meter. It seems to be working properly, it moves fully up and down. But when it gets to a 1/4 tank or less my truck starts to act like it is starving for fuel. I am thinking the fuel pump on the frame rail is going bad and when the fuel level gets to the 1/4 tank or less it has trouble picking up the fuel out of the tank. Does this sound like a good possibility. I have 154,111 miles on the truck. Never had this problem before. I checked the fuel filter screen in the tank that is nice and clean. I have good fuel pressure at idle while the truck is in park. But even if you rev up the truck in park it starts acting like it is not getting fuel. I already replaced the fuel filter. I changed the oil. So the only thing that is left that I believe would be the problem is the fuel pump. What do you all think.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 PM
duct tape & zip ties

bump up, anyone have any suggestions.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:23 PM
duct tape & zip ties

More info, ok so I tore the pick up tube apart. I the screens are 50% clogged with crap and are covered in a green slimy crud I believe is algea. Being I never seen algea in a fuel tank. I am taking an educated guess and that is what I am calling it. So tomorrow I will clean out the tank completely, clean the pick up tube, Put the tank back together reinstall, and then I am going to replace the fuel filter again. I just hope my pump is not damaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.