No Power+Black Smoke "Is my old truck gone" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy No Power+Black Smoke "Is my old truck gone"

This may be a little of a long explanation but I think it is important to understand the mess I'm currently In. I have owned my 2005 F350 6.0l since 2006 and have loved everything about it. Shortly after purchasing the truck I installed a Bully Dog PMT and a MBRP air cleaner and exhaust. The power It had always amazed me I was in love with my truck and was satisfied. Last winter I began to find while driving on the freeway the boost would get stuck at zero and I would have no power. In spring with my mileage at 45k I decided to give my truck a little tlc so I first flushed the coolant system and changed to the Cat ELC coolant changed oil and added bypass coolant and oil filters. I then Installed a New Garret Powermax turbo, new exhaust backpressure sensor, and cleaned the EGR valve. Before ever starting the truck I though it would be a good Idea to update my BD PMT. To update the BD I needed to contact tech assistance due to the unit error regarding the VIN match. They reflashed my card and I updated. Immediately after starting and driving the truck for the first time it was not right. The truck had a large loss in power compared to before and also gave black smoke on acceleration. Use of any the BD power levels was not possible due to the excessive black smoke. I also found I lost all of my Trans tuning with the update. I first begged BD Tech help to please just give me my old program back but they refused. I feel robbed (Don’t Buy a BD). Finally with no help from BD I decided to take the abuse and listen to the why I should own a Dodge or Chevy and Fords suck speech from the only local performance Diesel shop in the Milwaukee area Huckstorf Diesel. They looked at my truck and found the PCM data screwed up from the BD so they reflashed the factory settings and again updated the BD. $318 later very excited to get my old truck back I picked it up and found it was exactly the same with no power and black smoke. I’m currently totally lost on how to get my old truck back and have even thought I might need to sell it to get out of this mess. Should I remove the BD and take it to a Ford dealer telling them just no power and black smoke. Are all of the programs BD and the PCM downgraded and my old truck is forever lost. With BD uninstalled I’m not sure of the power because I never drove much stock but I still have some smoke. The knowledge of the people in these forums impresses me and I may never be able to repay by adding much to posts but would greatly appreciate any advise or help to get my old truck back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Winning DUHHH

Boost leaks?!?! That's where I'd start, your getting the fuel but not the air

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Definitely sounds like a boost leak to me. Is the boost gauge on the dash reading any boost psi?

I would take it to a Ford Dealer that works on diesels and have they look it over. Tell them you think it has a boost leak and also tell them to reflash the truck

On a side note PLEASE TRASH THE BULLY DOG TUNER!!!! It is doing nothing good for your truck. If you are amazed at the power of the Bully Dog you will be mesmerized by the power of a good custom SCT tune, plus custom SCT tuning tunes your transmission too so it can properly accommodate for the added power. Once your get your truck fixed and in good running order contact a custom tuner and get yourself a good tune.

-Vivian@QuickTricks (Looney Tune)
-Matt@Gearhead (SRL)
-Chris@TruckSourceDiesel (SPD)

Here are a few good reads for you with a ton of great information...

Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

Which programmer?

oh and......

Last edited by mazsecond; 09-23-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Jeremy Johnson in Platteville WI isn't all that far for you, and he knows his stuff!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clays-6.0L View Post
This may be a little of a long explanation but I think it is important to understand the mess I'm currently In. I have owned my 2005 F350 6.0l since 2006 and have loved everything about it. Shortly after purchasing the truck I installed a Bully Dog PMT and a MBRP air cleaner and exhaust. The power It had always amazed me I was in love with my truck and was satisfied.

Last winter I began to find while driving on the freeway the boost would get stuck at zero and I would have no power. In spring with my mileage at 45k I decided to give my truck a little tlc so I first flushed the coolant system and changed to the Cat ELC coolant changed oil and added bypass coolant and oil filters. I then Installed a New Garret Powermax turbo, new exhaust backpressure sensor, and cleaned the EGR valve. Before ever starting the truck I though it would be a good Idea to update my BD PMT.

To update the BD I needed to contact tech assistance due to the unit error regarding the VIN match. They reflashed my card and I updated. Immediately after starting and driving the truck for the first time it was not right. The truck had a large loss in power compared to before and also gave black smoke on acceleration. Use of any the BD power levels was not possible due to the excessive black smoke. I also found I lost all of my Trans tuning with the update.

I first begged BD Tech help to please just give me my old program back but they refused. I feel robbed (Donít Buy a BD). Finally with no help from BD I decided to take the abuse and listen to the why I should own a Dodge or Chevy and Fords suck speech from the only local performance Diesel shop in the Milwaukee area Huckstorf Diesel. They looked at my truck and found the PCM data screwed up from the BD so they reflashed the factory settings and again updated the BD. $318 later very excited to get my old truck back I picked it up and found it was exactly the same with no power and black smoke.

Iím currently totally lost on how to get my old truck back and have even thought I might need to sell it to get out of this mess. Should I remove the BD and take it to a Ford dealer telling them just no power and black smoke. Are all of the programs BD and the PCM downgraded and my old truck is forever lost.

With BD uninstalled Iím not sure of the power because I never drove much stock but I still have some smoke. The knowledge of the people in these forums impresses me and I may never be able to repay by adding much to posts but would greatly appreciate any advise or help to get my old truck back.
OK now maybe I can read this without getting a headache lol sorry I had to make it into paragraphs lol. Let me read it and I'll let you know what I think.

Edit: Ok, here's my thoughts. First off you need to get a monitor installed in that truck asap to find out what is happening with your engine while driving.

Second, Get rid of the BD and get an SCT with custom tunes written for your truck.

Third, sounds like a possible boost or exhaust leak causing the no boost issue or sticking vanes in the turbo.

Fourth, don't listen to those morons about buying a Dodge or Duraturd, they don't know what they are talking about.

And last but not least if you want to get the old strategy back contact Bill at PHP (Power Hungry Performance) and tell him you want to do an ECM roll back to a previous/better performing strategy.

Last edited by Tuscany; 09-23-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for all the replies. I do get boost but have no idea how much it had before or what it should have now. I see about 25psi max and only a little in neutral not pulling. Other than just plain looking as I have done how can I find leaks? After unplugging the solenoid from the turbo it does change to a no boost condition. Sorry about no paragraphs not my strong suit.

Gushatman,

Does Jeremy Johnson have a business? I did a quick look but couldn't find anything.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is Jeremy Johnson with Diesel Dr. that’s about 3 hours from me?

Oh! Is it normal for Huckstorf Diesel to put 50 miles on my truck to diagnose?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just found some new info.

With multiple posts saying leaks, I visually looked closer and found black soot marks around 5 of the 6 exhaust manifold ports that I could see clearly. None of them look large but would this be enough to reduce my boost and cause my current power and smoke problems. Why would this problem appear after installing the new turbo. My old turbo had lots of power but would stick at zero boost however you could get boost again by pinning it to the floor.

Can gaskets be installed and if so how do you do this without sending rust through the turbo and breaking the flex tubes. This looks like a tough job.

I have read these leaks may be normal when cold could this be true?

Last edited by Clays-6.0L; 09-23-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.