Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help!! 6.0 Wont start

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Kyle K 
#1 ·
Drove it to a friends house parked it while I went hunting got back to it this afternoon went to start it up and it fired once then nothing let it sit for a bit tried it again and it would fire once and then just crank over and black smoke would roll out of the exhaust. Never had any issues before this.

I plugged in my computer and Im throwing a few codes

P0267
P0269
P0273
P0611

Please help

#2 ·
P0267: cyl #3, injector circuit low
P0269: cyl #3, contribution/balance
P0273: cyl #5, injector circuit low
P0611: FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) performance

Sounds like the death of a FICM.
To be absolutely sure (and ensure the longevity of your repaired/new FICM), remove both batteries from your truck and run them down to an autoparts store and have them load test them for you. If they fail the test (or are marginal at best), replace them as a set.
Once you have completed the test, place the batteries on a battery charger and get them up to a 100% full charge. New batteries won't come with a full charge, so charge them up.
Once they are fully charged, reinstall the batteries, paying attention to the connectors and cables. Next, get out your multimeter and test the FICM. This test should be done on a cold engine (which shouldn't be a problem). The reason for the full charge/cold engine is to get the best possible result from your testing.

Heres a youtube for the "how to"

The reasoning behind all the battery BS ahead of time is that a weak battery will NOT always result in the truck cranking over slowly, or any other typical issue that would make you think that it was a battery.
A weak or dying battery could be what fried your FICM in the first place, and if you jump over the testing of the batteries you will never know that. Your new (or repaired) FICM will also fry itself, and your right back to square one, just minus some cash.

A very popular repair business is ficmrepair.com (Ed is his name).
Awesome turnaround time/customer service and pricing. That is who I used and couldn't be happier.

#3 · (Edited)
i would go get a scanguage 2 at autozone if you can swing it. You can tell exactly what your ficm is doing BEFORE you go and spend the money if your not 100% sure that's what it is. check your connections on the underside to make sure they are seated properly...unplug and replug...should hear a click unless your connector is broken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.