Coolant leak dripping from front of Tranny Case - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant leak dripping from front of Tranny Case

Alright guys I know we all have experienced our fair share of 6.0L problems. Little history about the mods done to my 06 Powerstroke.. I have done the sinister EGR delete. Had the FICM rebuilt, installed magnaflow 4" exhaust from turbo back with CAT delete, installed Bullydog PMT programmer. The latest issue is a pesky coolant drip from the front of the transmission case on the passenger side. I know this because I actually preformed the "taste" test.....I have checked the black metal hose going from firewall to degas bottle and no signs of coolant. I have looked all throughout on top of the engine and see no signs of coolant. I am 100% stumped ....Any suggestions?

Last edited by 06blackbetty; 09-19-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Little bit of advice, those of us that have the 6.0 and know them well love them. Many on here would tend to shy away from someone bashing these engines especially on the first post here. I know you think it's all in good fun but just a heads up.

As for a leak, it's possible that its coming from the blue hose on your sinister egr delete kit. Another place to look is on the black tube running parallel with the intake manifold beside the alternator on the passenger side where your heater core hose connects to. Check that and also look down to where it bolts to the front cover of the engine behind the belt under the alternator on the front of the engine. The o-rings there are known to go bad and start leaking.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Tuscany for the heads up. I really ment nothing by the joke. I have went back and deleted the comment in hopes to smooth things over. I have looked at the blue hose coming from the delete and see no signs of coolant. This drip seems to be very intermitting. Some mornings I can go out and there is a spot the size of a quarter under the truck. Then go several days with nothing. Then look under the truck and be a spot the size of a basketball.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Banned

Did you check the lines I told you to? Anything looking like its leaking there?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Did you check the lines I told you to? Anything looking like its leaking there?
I just walked back in from checking things over again. The black line running parallel to intake looks good. The connection to block looks good with no signs of leakage. I did check the hose clamps at the blue hose connected to the egr delete and they seemed to be all tight. I did remove them and look the hose over good and found no splits or cracks.

One thing that does concern me is the fact of a metal grommet inside the hose that connects the delete pipe back to location just beside oil filter housing. Even after tightening the hose clamp the hose still seemed to move on the nipple connected to intake. Could this be the corporate to my leaky coolant system?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Banned

Check the degas bottle lines there are 3 of them. They could be leaking or the degas bottle may be cracked and leaking and dripping on the motor and causing your drip.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just crawled under the truck again to clean all the mess. When looking up the back of the block I noticed that the trail of coolant has finally marked itself. Looks as though the coolant is coming from the right side of the block. From the most I can see from under the truck the trail is coming from around a bracket that is just under the turbo. It is bolted to the top of the block and has an ear that sticks up towards the turbo with a threaded whole. Seems to me that the coolant is coming from somewhere around my egr delete. I have cleaned all the signs of coolant from under the truck and tightend all the hose clamps on the egr delete. I am hoping that i will be able to pin point this leak in the am before starting the truck. About the egr delete. When i installed the metal tube to the underneath of the intake I was really concerned with the way it sealed. The metal pipe went through the plate that bolted to the underside of the intake. The metal pipe had no o-ring or gasket to seal the pipe to the plate. I called manufacture to be sure this was correct. They informed me that all was good with the design. Do you think this could be my problem? The only thing is I did this delete about 6 months ago and am now just getting this leak.

REALLY CONFUSSED!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 AM

did you ever figure your leak out...facing similar issue...and comon leak points don't seem to be the problem..
Old 04-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A little late but what did you land up finding? I have the same problem... Did a egr delete/exhaust a week ago and just today I noticed coolant dripping off the tranny. I can trace it to up above the tranny then I lose the trail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.