6.0 Surging Idle/ now no start, Please help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Surging Idle/ now no start, Please help!

hello, new member to the forum but not the first time on here trying to figure out previous issues. Bought this truck 1-1-12 with 96k no warranty and no knowledge of the 6.0 issues. Had the egr cooler go out at 100,500 so I did the egr delete, full system coolant flush replaced with cat ec1 rated coolant. Installed a sinister coolant filter did an oil change with rotella t5 15-40. Also changed the fuel filters and removed the cat. at 101k I was having some idle surging issues so I did some research and asked a tech, ended up replacing the ICP. that fixed the issue til recently, I have been noticing the idle bouncing intermittently +-100rpms. yesterday went 100 miles to go to the beach stayed for a few hours and when I went back to start my truck it didnt want to start after 10 sec of cranking, let it set a minute cranked it again gave it a little gas and it started. it ran rough at idle so i kept it at 1k to smooth it out. drove it 15 miles to my parents house left it for an hour and it started fine, drove 15 miles back to my wife's parents house left the truck for 2 hours and it wouldnt start, tried 5 times cranking 5-10 sec each time. keep in mind this is now later at night temps were about 65 degrees. Had to get the truck towed home. this morning I tested the batteries 12.25 volts KOEO tested the ficm 48.5v KOEO and while cranking never droped. the truck started for a sec, ran like #### a little gray smoke then died. Disconnected the ICP and the truck started right up, better than usual and idled perfect. Do you guys think I got a faulty ICP??

^^^ sorry for all the detail but I wanted to give all details / mods to get the most likely causes. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP! checked the EBP sensor and it was pretty clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Do you have a monitor to monitor your icp? Icp pluged in should read a true pressure and unpluged it will default to 900ish. Pluged in, in order to crank you have to have 550ish on your icp reading. Your ipr % will change as well. Saying all that you probably have a bad icp sensor but in order to know for sure you have to know what the icp readings are. I would change the icp sensor but that is me.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Did you pull your codes?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck is not throwing any codes, all I have is the highest model harbor freight code reader, it doesnt monitor icp pres or ipr duty cycle. tight on cash at the moment, is it possible that the sensor just failed that quickly? its only been like 3 months maybe 1k-1.5k miles. I do think its odd tho that the truck idles/ starts perfect with the icp disconnected. If it was hpop or IPR related would this be the case?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check the wires right next to the ICP sensor. when the old one went bad they usually start leaking oil through the sensor and pushing it into the wiring. it will soak up into the wiring and make the wire coating swell. if it is swollen you will need to do a ICP pigtail kit. its just a new connector with a few inches of wiring. unplug the connector and see if it is wet with oil on either side of the connector, icp side and harness side. if its wet the ICP is bad. also look at the wiring after the connector to see if the wires are swollen. very common problem
Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Replaced the icp originally to fix the surging idle. It never had oil pass to the plug and its still dry. Have a new icp sensor on the way under warranty if that doesent fix it do you think it could be ipr?? Keep in mind the truck idles perfect with the icp disonnected.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is it a fast high surging? i have a customers truck do that after a repair and it would idle high and surge but once i was driving or accelerating it was fine. turned out to be the IPR valve had debris in it and was running high icp pressure at idle. check the IPR screen for damage or it could be clogged/sticking internally
Old 09-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It would bounce around from normal idle up to around 900 and as low as 450 or so. I will check the opr today. What sould i use to clean it if its clogged?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

there is a screen on the end of the IPR. make sure its not damaged or clogged. if it is there is a IPR screen repair kit from ford. or it could be clogged or sticking internally. then its gotta be replaced. its not cheap so see if you can borrow a buddys for testing unless you got a scanner where you can watch the IPR % and ICP pressure
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi, I'm also a new member. Have an 04 that has had this problem from 400 miles to now at 55K miles. Dealer has almost had it longer than me. Tried a flight recorder for a week. Didn't show anything. Two months ago brought to private diesel repair shop. Replaced ICP. Ran great for two weeks. Symptoms; loping idle, surges at idle, surges at highway speed. Very frustrating. I've seen a lot of posts on this. Has anyone solved this 6.0 mystery yet? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.