6.4 cuts out at 2,100rpm! Help me guys please! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 6.4 cuts out at 2,100rpm! Help me guys please!

Leaving work yesterday and everythings great. About 5 minutes i had been driving and i acelerate a little bit on an incline. After im over the peak i got to get back on the gas somewhat and it's starts coughin and ****tin on me. Im down to about 35mph at this point and around 900rpm just barely cruising. I got to accelerate a little more i just eased into it and right above 2,000rpm she just shakes and baxks me back down. I was also watching my psi, wouldnt get passed 10lbs. So i cruised her home tho whole way at about 35 because she was running perfectly fine under 2,000rpm. Parked her and she idles fine. Starts right up fine. And runs fine all the way up to 2,000rpm. I have some different ideas but i know you guys are the wiz's. Please help. Also didn't look but dont think i saw any white smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,127
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinturbotitan View Post
Leaving work yesterday and everythings great. About 5 minutes i had been driving and i acelerate a little bit on an incline. After im over the peak i got to get back on the gas somewhat and it's starts coughin and ****tin on me. Im down to about 35mph at this point and around 900rpm just barely cruising. I got to accelerate a little more i just eased into it and right above 2,000rpm she just shakes and baxks me back down. I was also watching my psi, wouldnt get passed 10lbs. So i cruised her home tho whole way at about 35 because she was running perfectly fine under 2,000rpm. Parked her and she idles fine. Starts right up fine. And runs fine all the way up to 2,000rpm. I have some different ideas but i know you guys are the wiz's. Please help. Also didn't look but dont think i saw any white smoke.
A list of mods will help. If you have a monitor I'd look at fuel pressure and make sure it's building like its supposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto2four View Post
A list of mods will help. If you have a monitor I'd look at fuel pressure and make sure it's building like its supposed to.
My bad! Shes basically stock...theres a gibs tip and mid pipe but i havent even fully looked at it. Just bought her a week ago. You think maybe fuel filter is clogged!? Its basically exactly like if a 2-stroke dirtbike carb was clogged. Thanks for helping though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,560
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
+1 on monitoring fuel pressure. change the fuel filters and drain the water separator before you drive it much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,127
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinturbotitan View Post
My bad! Shes basically stock...theres a gibs tip and mid pipe but i havent even fully looked at it. Just bought her a week ago. You think maybe fuel filter is clogged!? Its basically exactly like if a 2-stroke dirtbike carb was clogged. Thanks for helping though!
I know exactly what your talking about. Get some crap in you main jet and it'll start sputtering and spitting. Check your fuel filters until you get a monitor. Or post a thread and see if there is someone in your area that has one that you can meet up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto2four View Post
I know exactly what your talking about. Get some crap in you main jet and it'll start sputtering and spitting. Check your fuel filters until you get a monitor. Or post a thread and see if there is someone in your area that has one that you can meet up with.
Shop says diagnostic popped 3 egr codes. They said the egr will cause it you think its true? If it is should i just have them put a delete kit on they said that would cost 500$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,127
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think the egr valve will open at higher rpms, so if the egr valve was stuck closed it does make sense that it would cause an issue.

If it's warranty I'd let them fix it and be on your way.

If its coming out of your pocket, then an egr delete is the way to go. If you go this route you will also need a tuner that is emissions delete capable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto2four View Post
I think the egr valve will open at higher rpms, so if the egr valve was stuck closed it does make sense that it would cause an issue.

If it's warranty I'd let them fix it and be on your way.

If its coming out of your pocket, then an egr delete is the way to go. If you go this route you will also need a tuner that is emissions delete capable.
Warrenty is up:/ so yea in gonna go with egr delete. I can do this without a tuner correct. What your saying is when i buy a tuner is has to be compatible with a deleted egr correct?
Appreciating the help man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,127
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No, you have to have a tuner to run the truck with a deleted egr. If you delete without tuning the truck will throw codes and go into limp mode.

If I were you I'd call any of our site supporting vendors and ask them for a quote on a package deal of egr delete kit, tuner, delete pipe (or full exhaust), and cold air intake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Limp mode is bad damnt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors