97 7.3 intermitant non start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 7.3 intermitant non start

Truck was running fine. It sat for two months and like a dummy,I did not start it.Went to start,and would not start.Charged battery then it did start and started fine for about a week..Now it will not start and when key is cycled on I have a buzzing noise under the hood. Any ideas folks? BTW I did my bi-annual glow plug relay change out just recently so that is new.HELP please! I have had this truck since new and have 275k miles on it. It's a keeper. Thanks Also the thing cranks at plenty speed,just will not fire up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
At these temps, it should really be able to start without the GPs working anyway..

Do you have a spare CPS to try? Does the tach needle rise a little while cranking on the starter?

Does the WTS light come on? (shows the computer is running)

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (are you close to empty?)
Old 08-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

plenty of fuel in bowl. That was the frist thing I checked WTS light cycles fineWhat is a cps? Tank is full. The buzzing noise has me baffled
Old 08-25-2012, 08:31 AM

Sorry, it's the CrankPositionSensor and they are known to be problematic. In a '97 though, the signal that tells the pcm what speed the engine is turning-over is also what drives the Tach (this changed during the '01 MY). So, if you see the tach needle move, it means that sensor is doing it's job...
Old 08-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

bad start

Ford replaced mycps with a warranty fix. I imagine it could go bad again tho. What has me puzzled is the buzzing sound in the engine area when the key is full power on. Never heard that before
Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 AM

OK well, open the hood, roll the key On, run-around and start putting your hands on stuff to "feel" what's buzzing. Look to the relays (they're the most likely culprit) and anything else that could be doing that...
Old 09-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got it solved. Like a dumb a**,after I got to looking around, I noticed my batteries were 6 years old. This is why after a 24 hour charge it started just fine. Had lots of juice to crank it,just not enough to run the fuel primers and the injectors. Thanks for the other ideas tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.