puff puff from oil filler cap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
puff puff from oil filler cap

Hey everyone,
Tgif. I have a 97 f250 psd supercab that i bought not running. It had been sittin for 3 yrs.
I have it running and am driving it. Ive changed all filters and oil. My question or problem is that when i take oil filler cap off i have some puffs of compression coming out???
It is not skipping and i am not losing any coolant. I replaced number 8 injector and found out a couple of injectors injectors were not torqued. Im going to take off valve cover and torque other side this weekend. Has anyone had experience with this issue? ? Any ides on what it could be???
Thanks, Thomas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gee, what makes you think this is a problem? A diesel engine, because it has much higher compression and and that much more gets by the rings, will always have more blow-by (what it is you're describing) than a comparable gas engine.

Is it that you think it may be coinciding with the firing of a single cylinder? I mean, a cylinder is going to be firing like 5 times a second so, it would be hard to "see" a pulsation like that...
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Thanks for reply,
It is puffing like every .5 second. I didnt thin this was normal. The truck has 189k189k and i have done the ccv mod. So this is normal???
Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't think I'd be too concerned....

With 200K on the clock and running well - Why look for trouble As I said, there's going to be more blow-by then you might be used to seeing (CCV mod or not - be sure your hose has no kinks or "low spots" that could collect oil and hamper the breathing though) and still considered normal.

There's an "Ole Timey" test that says if you remove that cap and place it back over the opening, upside down, and it doesn't blow-off. you're OK. Sounds kinda silly to me, if it's not running perfectly smoothly it would vibrate off probably, I donno, you could try it if it makes you feel better (if it stays there it would be good, I just don't agree that if it doesn't it's significant )

Another thought, if it's been sitting like that, maybe put some miles on it and see what happens..

Last edited by NoRalPh; 08-24-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 AM

Ok. Ive done the upside down test and it hops off eith the compression.
I havent driven it but 200-300 miles since back running. Ill drive it more and out some oil aditive in it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.