2002 f450 white smoke at high rpms and low on power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 f450 white smoke at high rpms and low on power

I have a 2002 f450 and I just did a bunch of work to it and now another problem. I recently bought the truck with 105,XXX miles on it and it had no power the up pipes were leaking. So Yesterday I just finished up putting new bellowed up pipes, a blank turbo pedestal, new o rings and ww in the turbo, a high pressure crossover, billet inserts in the intake, new ic boots, and new fuel filter also a used ipr off a motor i had it is good, made the truck start easier and run better.. Never had any smoke problems before doing the work. I am running out of ideas. When driving over 2,000 rpms for any period with your foot in it a little it will blow white smoke out the exhaust and start losing power. When turning the key to run the fuel pump comes on and runs for a while before shutting off, I can cycle the key and doesn't get much shorter on run time. I am thinking maybe the pump??? I took the pickup out of the tank and inspected it and took the filters out of the chamber to see if that would help but no luck. Truck is stock except for intake, muffler delete, and big boost (boost fooler). Please help!! Thanks in advance!!! -Chris

Last edited by Jacobs3273; 08-07-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

bump to the top!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Bump bump bump
Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anyone at all??? I don't know what to check next.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
White smoke, to me, doesn't sound like fuel starvation....

The pump run-time is controlled by a timer, not by pressure (so consecutive runs won't be shorter)

The presences of white smoke is an indication of unburnt fuel going through the motor (fuel's in the rail, injectors are pushing it into the cylinders (maybe not atomized though)).

Is it otherwise "missing" like dead cylinders or just falling-on-it's-face?

For this to happen all at once, it's not likely to be things like tired O-rings or injectors, something's changed....

Could be boost related, I don't suppose you have a boost gauge?

Do you get a CEL? What about the MAT/MAP sensors?

Have a look at this -> IF your 7.3 starts blowing white smoke, and stumbling - READ THIS - MAT SENSOR

As is the case with All these kind of issues, if you could get it on the right scanner it would likely eliminate a lot of stuff
Old 08-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I will check out that sensor, I have a boost gauge and right now am only hitting 12psi. but the truck doesn't want to get up and go as it should. Truck runs good when started but now seems like it is starving for fuel because if you drive it now it starts sounding like the injectors aren't getting enough fuel and no power, but if I pull over and cycle the key 2 to 3 times and start it again it will be like normal again for a couple of mins. When you drive it hard injectors get noisey and it starts to miss like its running out of fuel also I took out the fuel filter and turned the key and fuel just barely trickles in .

Last edited by Jacobs3273; 08-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:23 PM

OK well, when you remove the filter element you'll see a spring-loaded platform rise. That is actually closing a valve in the bottom to prevent you from running without a filter in there (so, not much of a test. Try opening the drain valve and cycle the key, with a container and hose on it) to get an idea of what the fuel delivery is like.

Next time it happens, don't cycle the key - just let it rest and see if it's different maybe. Hows your engine oil (level & quality)? That can cause problems where the injectors stop working & get noisy because of Oil Pressure (they run on engine oil out of the HPOP).

Again, know anyone with an AutoEnginuity or professional scanner to diagnose this?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just did a test took fuel filter out and drained fuel bowl completely, it took 3min and 10 sec to fill fuel bowl 3/4 full and 7 turns of the key. I think the fuel pump is getting weak.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I eliminated the spring and plunger in the fuel filter housing to make sure that wasn't a problem I don't know anyone around here with ae. Truck barely will make it around a block now Also fuel tank is full by the way

Last edited by Jacobs3273; 08-08-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobs3273 View Post
Just did a test took fuel filter out and drained fuel bowl completely, it took 3min and 10 sec to fill fuel bowl 3/4 full and 7 turns of the key. I think the fuel pump is getting weak.
OK, that sounds like you've got a problem!

Either weak or sucking air on the supply side. Maybe take it out and put 12v to it with a new hose on the input side into some fuel. It should be obvious if it's bad...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.