97 psd rough idle poor throttle response Help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 psd rough idle poor throttle response Help!!

ive got a 97 f250 and i was going to church sunday mornin and i get to the end of my road and my truck starts idling extremely rough anywhere from 4 to 800rpms and i go to give it some throttle but it wont do anything till im 3/4 throttle. In the last yr ive put a new tps, cps sensors in it and I just put new d66 turbo, stage 2 injectors, clutch, and a tw chip on it along with new vavle cover gaskets and pigtails and such. It ran amazing the night before but now im stumped. and i need to get this resolved by the end of the week because i start college All help is much appreciated.

Im wondering if it isnt the icp sensor but im not sure. I ran the codes and all that showed up is p0603 and p0470
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

First code is the danger code unless your running a chip. Faulty PCM, not cheap. 470 is the exhaust back pressure sensor. Will the truck start? Will it run at idle?

Last edited by BigFuel; 08-07-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have a tony wildman 6 position chip in it that plugs into the pcm and yes itll start and run fine for a couple of minutes but then itll start acting up. Itll run at idle but it is so rough that i just turn it off because it seems pretty hard on the motor. Also when it starts acting up the throttle starts having very poor responsivness
Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 AM

Sorry, had this whole thing typed up and hit post just as I I reread your sig and you have already gutted your EBPV. Still thinking but pull the chip and go for a drive. See if things change. Maybe the chip started backing out of the PCM
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 AM

Whats your fuel pressure at idle. It'll mess it up but you can put a tire gauge (dial type) on the fuel bowls schrader valve and get an approx. answer. Also pull the plug off the ICP and see what the truck does at idle.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok i give all that a try. My fuel pressure is right around 58 to 60. Thanks alot for the tips
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM

No worries. Fuels good. Pulling the ICP plug might tell us something about the HPOP. When was the CPS changed last? What do the Gauges read when it does this? When was the last fuel filter swapped? Did you clean the FPR screen in the last 6 months?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It started idling horribly in the driveway and actually died so i unpluged the icp sensor and it ran just fine so bad icp sensor then?? In febraury the cps went bad so it got a new one and will i was at it i cleaned the fpr screen and changed the fuel filter. Truck also see regular oil change every 5000 miles. im thinkin the its the icp sensor since it runs fine unpluged.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:12 PM

ICP's are expensive. Try this first:

Last edited by BigFuel; 08-07-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.