Another 6.0L with starting issues... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another 6.0L with starting issues...

Hey guys, so first off I got referred to this forum from one of my buddies who said you guys were a really good bunch of informative and friendly people who don't mind helping.

So I bought my first diesel truck September of last year a 2006 Ford F350 Lariat w/ the 6.0L Powerstroke and drove it about everyday and loved every bit of it, and only recently with the really warm weather here that it started having issues. when I bought the truck it had about 72xxx miles and now just under the 100k mark.

Long story short, one day I go do errands all around town and have to fill up. Fill the tank, pay, get back in the truck and crank for a good 10 seconds before firing up. Didn't really think too much about it, figured it was a hot and humid day everything is working twice as hard. Then a week later I go to start it and it takes a good 10 seconds to start up, idles about at 300rpm and dies flat on its face. Tried it again and it started up like a champ, like nothing was wrong... then today I just filled the tank up and it wont start just cranks over with no start. Sitting at the pump for a good 10 minutes before I try again and it fires up no issues.

Check around the net, called a few of my mechanic buddies, and some tell me of the FICM going bad, got home checked the FICM when its cold, 48v and 47v cranking, so not the FICM, checked around a bit more then one of my buddies tells me of either the HPOP or the O-ring on one of the injectors (dummy injector?).

Now I did some research on this board and a few others and found a lot of answers for the HPOP and STC fitting, and keeps bringing me to these videos of how to easily replace the STC fitting on the HPOP, cool I'm pretty mechanicly inclined and can probably knock this out in a day.

But there seems to be little information on the O-ring that keeps coming up, and with my luck, that's gonna be the issue, so basically I'm asking for any of the 6.0L gurus out there for their opinion and help for this diesel newbie get his workhorse running properly again.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Here are some of the stats on the truck:

- 2006 F360 w/ 6.0L Powerstroke
- All Stock
- just under 100k miles
- Runs great when it starts but will occasional fall flat on it's face 2 seconds after starting
- When it won't start the engine is still warm around operating temp.
- Occasionally will be stopped at a red light and the idle will drop to ~500rpm and pick itself back up to ~700 and even out at 680ish
- Stalled while driving once or twice but started right up again
- Some days will take a lot of cranking but will start at 200rpm and slowly make its way to 650rpm
- No black smoke whatsoever

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 01:42 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds indicitive of a HPO leak. The O-ring they were speaking of is the dummy plugs and stand pipes. The stand pipes are what feed your hpo rails the hpo required to fire the injectors. The dummy plugs are just that they block off the other holes in the front of the hpo rails and are there because ford redesigned the hpo rails to be universal to either side. So to do that the hpo rails have 2 holes one up front which is where the dummy plug goes and one in the back which is where the stand pipe goes. The old style dummy plugs and stand pipes would leak so ford redesigned them with extra o-rings you have to replace the stand pipes and dummy plugs if they are leaking as well as the stc fitting and possibly the hpop and ipr valve depending on the condition of the screen on the ipr valve or if the hpop is leaking as mine was. It can get costly in a hurry so just be prepared.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:46 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That's GREAT advice, Bryan. Man, I wish you had been around when my truck was doing this... (Of course, that was 6 or 7 years ago.)
Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
...you have to replace the stand pipes and dummy plugs if they are leaking as well as the stc fitting and possibly the hpop and ipr valve depending on the condition of the screen on the ipr valve or if the hpop is leaking as mine was. It can get costly in a hurry so just be prepared.
Well that just sounds super fun...

so did some research with the new info, the IPR Valve is the aluminium valve sitting on the HPOP and is relatively easy to get to as long as the turbo is off, or doesn't even have to be according to the 2 videos I posted earlier and I might as well do them or check them since the STC maybe the issue.

Then for the stand pipes I quickly found this page on powerstroke

Standpipe And Dummy Plug Replacement

which has the PDFs for the 3 different types of oil rails and the 06+ have the funny looking wavy ones. The stand pipes are the straight pipes that go from the "Y" pipe to each of the fuel rails and the seals on those are the ones that crap out am I correct?

So can I get access to change all these parts simply by removing the turbo? Or do I have to remove the EGR cooling pipes and everything?

Being that I need to get this truck running top notch ASAP I will be ordering pretty much all the parts either today or tomorrow, does anyone have the part numbers for any of these parts?

Also I apologize if I sound repetitive and annoying, I am a programmer first and a 'mechanic' second.

Also should probably mention, today started the truck to get to work, started perfectly fine, then got to the first stop light and the idle dropped a bit to 400 then back up but as the light turned green I hit the pedal and no boost whatsoever. Hit the 4-ways, shut off the truck, read the code: P0299 "Turbo Underboost".... ****..... shut it off for a second while I regained my composure, turned key over and started instantly and ran perfectly, boost and everything. Got to work, shut off the truck, obviously by this time the truck is at full operating temp, try to start it, fires right up like a champ.

So cleared the code and hopped on here to do research.

Thanks again for all the helpful info!!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
A programmer, huh? So I'll use small words so you are sure to understand... Just kidding. I also work in IT, so you are among friends.

I would suspect that your vanes are sticking on your turbo and that is the reason for the no boost and the code. Oh and yes, your descriptions on the stand pipes are correct, although the dummy plugs also leak. You don't have to remove the EGR cooler to get to them since they are under the valve covers.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 AM

Dummy Plugs - W302908 Need 2
Stand Pipes - 6E7Z-9A332-A Need 2

I just had all this replaced on mine. Added blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, upgraded stc fitting, new oil cooler, dummy plugs, and stand pipes. My truck just shut off on me and wouldn't crank. Had a high pressure oil leak. I had the truck 37 days. It cost me $1896 to fix all of that.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Banned

Here you go bud if your gonna be in there and need to replace the STC, IPR, and HPOP go here its where I got mine from and they were great to deal with for $675 + $200 core charge that you will get back after you send your old pump back to them, you will get a new HPOP, IPR valve and, STC fitting when most places want $700 or more just for the pump alone and $300 for the IPR valve. You can save a TON of money buy getting your HPOP IPR and STC from them and it all comes together as a package deal for $675.

HPOP-122X Ford Power Stroke High Pressure Oil Pump - Injector Warehouse
Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks Tuscany, will definitely check it out,

I'm trying to gather a list of exactly what I need to get this done in one shot.

- HPOP, STC Fitting, IPR Valve all with pump
- Stand Pipes
- Dummy Plugs

should I be getting new Valve cover gaskets or other gaskets while I'm taking off the valve covers for the Stand pipes? And what is the Blue Spring Mod and upgraded Banjos bolts?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Banned

If your careful in removing the valve covers the gaskets are reusable. I would get the updated turbo oil feed and drain tubes as well as new o-rings for the oil fill tube along with the list you have started already. And just to be sure you might want to swap HPOP's just so you don't get it back together and have the same problem unless you can perform the HPO system leak down test. That will tell you exactly where your leaks are.

The blue spring is just a revised part from ford its a longer and stiffer spring that goes into the secondary fuel filter regulator housing. It boosts your fuel pressure to over 60 psi so you don't starve your injectors of fuel. The 6.4 banjo bolts are bigger inside and allow more fuel to flow into the heads as they are less restrictive than the 6.0's banjo bolts also the 6.0's have check valves that aren't really necessary and the 6.4's don't. People often swap them because until you do the stock banjo bolts are the single most restrictive point in the stock fuel system.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My buddy works at an International Truck Service shop, he would probably have access to the HPO leakdown tester right?

So this is the list so far, omitted is the HPOP combo kit from Injector Warehouse, and because the Ford OEM Part is $1,027.36 retail... and because I haven't decided if I need to change it. but I have listed the STC and IPR. These are just part numbers and for reference, to see if I have everything to do this job as I don't have time to do this job twice.

STC - 4C3Z-9B246-F (Updated STC fitting kit)
IPR - 5C3Z-9C968-CA / International Part # - 1846057C1
Dummy Plugs - W302938 x2
Stand Pipes - 6E72-9A332-A x2

Updated Turbo Oil Feed Line - International Part # - 1845287C96
Updated Turbo Oil Drain Line - International Part # - 1876071C91

Blue Spring Kit - 3C3Z-9T517-AE / 6E72-9C165-B (First part number is with the housing, second one is without)

6.4L Banjo Bolt Kit - W303659

Exhaust/Turbo Inlet Bolts and Gaskets - Haven't found part number yet.

EGR Seals (because I might as well since I'm there....) - 3C3Z-9P455-AB
International Part # - 1840778C92

This is pretty much where I'm at so far, I put the International numbers there so that I may as well try and get the parts cheaper through my buddy and I figure if someone else for whatever reason is looking for these numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.