'06 6.0L idles but no throttle response - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 6.0L idles but no throttle response

HELP! I have an 06 6.0L with exaust intake and chip, today about three miles from home after driving about half an hour, i was waiting to turn left across traffic, when i had a chance i went for it but fordsie had no go! push the throttle all you want and nothing happens just idles. I shut it off checked and cleared codes(6 of them showed up) started it up again and still nothing! shut it off checked codes again, now 7 codes came up, but when i restarted still now throttle response. the codes are p01079 manifold absolute pressure), p0237(turbo sensor A circut low), p2104( throttle actuator control system forced idle), p2122(throttle peddal position sensor switch D) p2127( throttle peddal position sensor switch E), p2132( throttle peddal position sensor switch F). can anyone give me their input if they have seen or heard of this before and what may cause or fix it PLEASE! I nedd this truck for work and cant afford to have it down too long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 PM

BUMP
so from what i can find researching this problem, things are pointing me to the throttle pedal itself. can anyone verify this before i run out and buy a throttle that i may not need?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:13 PM
04 f-250 fx4 6.0

Definitely go ahead and replace the pedal assembly have had to replace numerous pedal assemblies is a sensor and as we all know sensors go bad they are inexpensive and easy to do
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok guys i have the same truck with similar problems, i get 2138 2139 2140 codes, i have traced the harness to the pedals no sign of any frays or damage and put a brand new pedal assembly on, will go 3 mos with no problems then will go to forced idle several times a day, any advice??
The Following User Says Thank You to sportsman 36 For This Useful Post:
steve" (12-23-2013)
Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 PM

ok so a little update, I checked with every stealership around and apparently no ford dealers here in CANADA stock this throttle pedal! so since i have a 10 day wait for it to come from Texas I thought I would try the wreckers. found a used pedal for half the price of a new one, the guy told me they just had the truck running the other day before tearing it apart to make sure everything works. so I buy the pedal bring it home put it in.... and guess what, no difference! Still no throttle! now did i just blow $$$ on a dead pedal or was that even the problem to begin with? if anyone has any ideas as to what this could be or what i should try PLEASE chime in here! i dont really like blowing $$$ on parts i dont need that i cant return!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 PM

so another update.... i got another throttle pedal, tried it, and guess what, still NOTHING! so then i visually checked the wires that i could see, they all look good. next i decide well it time to get down to the nitty gritty, i managed to get a wiring diagram of the throttle to pcm wires. so i used that handy multi meter that i have hanging on the garage wall, all the wires are good except for 2 of them, but after talking with a ford diesel tech he told me the one should have 5 volts with key on, the other is a return wire. sure enough the one has 4.91 volts (with only 1 battery hooked up). so im starting to think maybe could it possibly be the PCM is no good, if the pedal works, the wiring is good the next in line thst is supposed to tell the injectors and engine what to do would be the PCM, right? so what i am asking is for some advise, if anyone can help me out i would almost give my left nut right about now for an answer to this problem!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 AM

FINAL UPDATE! TRUCK IS FIXED! Just incase for some odd reason anyone else ever has these symptoms I will give you the information that just cost me $1100.00 to learn. so I got tired of trying to fix it myself when a mechanic does it for a living and is better at it than I, the shop spent almost a full day trying to scan it but the PCM wouldnt allow them to run any tests on different sensors, so then it was out with the OHM meter and wiring diagrams and oldskool testing began. they checked almost every wire under the hood and finally found that the EXAUST pressure sensor had SHORTED out inside and the PCM senced a short so to protect itself shut down 5volt power which aparently runs a bunch of things. without that power the PCM wasnt getting enough information back from different sensors so it was putting the engine into limp mode. All of these headaches were caused by $150 exaust sensor which this shop had never changed one until now, and this one SHORTED out, if it would have failed no big deal, 1 code would have come up and it would have pointed to the problem, in shorting out it hid itself in a mess of other issues not even closely related. thanks to everyone who had suggestions and help with this.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That sucks!! But I am glad you kept up with it. Post like these count more then you would think!!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same thing

I am suffering the identical problems and am about to replace my exhaust sensor. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info.
As a side issue, I blew off my Turbo hot side intercooler tube just before all this happened. Had to drive it gingerly for an hour to get to an area to work on it These might be related issues. Keep you posted.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

YES!!!

And the results are: IT WORKED!! For those of you who may run into this problem, the codes that were thrown were P0405, P0307, P2104, P2138 and P2139 (Other codes associated with this can be thrown as well)....turns out that these were all under-volt codes that were thrown because of the Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor and clogged tube which just so happen to be apart of the same wire loom. Tip: There is no code thrown for a faulty Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor, but it robs the wire loom of the necessary voltage to run the rest of the sensors...hence the low voltage codes on all the other sensors. It can be spotted as about an 18" long curvy aluminum tube mounted vertically directly below the Degas bottle by the air breather with the sensor located at the top. It takes a 5/8" wrench to remove from the intake. CLEAN THE TUBE! I almost installed the sensor without removing the tube but, on second thought, decided to check it just to be sure...sure enough, it was clogged! Cleaned tube and installed new sensor. Part number 5C3Z 9J460 B is the EBP sensor and it is an improved upgrade from the original so this problem shouldn't happen again.
Thanks for the info fellas!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.