yet another 7.3L that just wont crank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yet another 7.3L that just wont crank

I've got a 2000 F350 PowerStroke, and the truck no longer cranks. Its got new batteries, and a new starter solenoid. I can cross the posts on the solenoid and the truck cranks and starts, but without doing that it just doesn't crank, the starter doesn't even sound like it clicks. the wait to start light comes on and goes off like its supposed to, door chimes work, just doesn't crank. once the solenoid posts are crossed that the truck starts it runs just fine. I pulled all the fuses and checked them and none are blown, relay clicks when you try to start the truck, just no starter action.

what should i check next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im having the same problem on my 2000 F250 7.3L. Nothing happens, only some clicking sounds from one of the relays in the fuse box inside the cab. I checked everything, starter, starter relay, alternator, batteris, ignition swith. Everything working fine. I got a P0603 code but that does necessarily mean that I have to replace th PCM, that code comes up when you unplug the batteries for a while. I'm trying to avoid having it sent to a dealership where they are going to send a lot of time trying to figure it out and a lot of my money in the process. Let me know if you find out anything.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckwnchstr View Post
I've got a 2000 F350 PowerStroke, and the truck no longer cranks. Its got new batteries, and a new starter solenoid. I can cross the posts on the solenoid and the truck cranks and starts, but without doing that it just doesn't crank, the starter doesn't even sound like it clicks. the wait to start light comes on and goes off like its supposed to, door chimes work, just doesn't crank. once the solenoid posts are crossed that the truck starts it runs just fine. I pulled all the fuses and checked them and none are blown, relay clicks when you try to start the truck, just no starter action.

what should i check next?
Do you have a way to check the voltage on the trigger wire of the starter solenoid? This is just me thinking out loud, but if that voltage wasn't right, it may not be pulling the solenoid hard enough to make a good contact to send power to the starter. By jumping it, you're sending full power down there.

Just a suggestion.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont have anything immediately to test that with. but I grapsing at straws now. I'm thinking that it may be the glow plug relay that is right next to the fuel filter. BTW dont waste you time with Autozone, Oreilly's and Advance auto are all stomped by my problem. They will only sell you parts until you get lucky and replace the right one. Been there, done that, still stuck. Waiting to hear back from one of the techs from Tommy Vaungh Ford to call me back. I will post anythig I hear
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i got it to start, I'm thinking that somehow it may have been a ground issue, I put a new solenoid on there, and got no juice to the starter switch wire, and when i removed the new solenoid and put the old one back on after scratching a little paint off where it mounts to the fender it started right up ... not sure if it will act up again, but i think it was just being a PITA for the day ...
Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i might try the same thing. i still have the old one. Tech from TVF was a waste of a phone call. The only thing he was able to help me with was the number of the towing service they use to have my truck taken there. Not going to happen. I'll try what you did and hope for the best. thanks
Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

that work for you Gutierrez333? or you still stuck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.