I Have a fuel leak!!!! Need help!!! ARGHhh!!>>>.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 04:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I Have a fuel leak!!!! Need help!!! ARGHhh!!>>>....

I was tinkering around with my truck yesterday (97 f-250 7.3L) and noticed I had a nice little pool of diesel fuel sitting on top of my motor almost directly under my turbo. I checked all my fuel lines and didnt find the problem. So I let the truck run and did a little more investigating. It seems to be coming from the assembly directly behind the fuel filter housing. What the part is called I have no idea. But, it is between the two fuel lines coming off the back of the heads and the fuel filter housing, you know where they meet into a banjo bolt fitting. Is that the fuel pressure regulator or is it something else? Please some one help me I dont want my baby to catch on fire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2006, 04:37 AM

I am not too familure with the fuel system setup on your year truck, but I can tell you my experience. I had a fuel leak in the fuel line that goes from the fuel filter housing to the back of the passenger side head. After some investigation I found that a bracket that held this line around where the air dumps into the passenger side head, had actually rubbed a hole in the line. I put a new line on and now all is good.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:39 AM

thanks for the reply, but unfrotunately my leak is definately coming from that assembly i spoke of earlier. when the engine is running, i can see it spurting from it. It sux
Old 07-11-2006, 06:33 AM
Banned

sounds to me like your dircribing your fuel pump.....i would probably bet that is your fuel leak.....Marc
Old 07-11-2006, 09:15 AM

Well, if it is my fuel pump do you think its just an o-ring issue or something more major? I have a haynes manual for this truck but they seem to deal more with the non direct injection 7.3L engines and cant find a good exploded view of the fuel pump for my trucks engine, God i hope this dosent turn out to be huge expendature.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddieselphile
Well, if it is my fuel pump do you think its just an o-ring issue or something more major? I have a haynes manual for this truck but they seem to deal more with the non direct injection 7.3L engines and cant find a good exploded view of the fuel pump for my trucks engine, God i hope this dosent turn out to be huge expendature.
id probably isnt an o ring. There is two copper washers between the fuel pump and that space ship looking thing behind the pump that can leak, but more often than not it is actually coming out of the weep hole in the pump, just like when a water pump fails. It will probably need a new pump, but i would not condemn it for sure without looking at it.......
Old 07-11-2006, 09:34 AM

Well, I hate to say it but I do believe it is coming from the weep hole, I imagine the weep hole is just under the large flange on the top of the pump, correct? Man, I just cant win with this truck. Any idea how much a new pump is?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Power Strokeaholic

just for an idea on cost. i just spent $167 on a pump for mine yesterday. the one on the frame. and that was the cheapest
Old 07-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stroke
just for an idea on cost. i just spent $167 on a pump for mine yesterday. the one on the frame. and that was the cheapest
different styles of fuel systems though bill, you bought an electric pump, his will be a mechanical, camshaft driven one in the valley of the motor that your truck doesnt have.....
Old 07-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Power Strokeaholic

really? you know i have never seen the valley of a first gen psd. i thought they were all electric. learn some thing new every day. i have been schooled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.