Running Very Rough 7.3 TD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 05:37 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Running Very Rough 7.3 TD

Hello Everyone,
I have a 2002 F-550 7.3L TD. My truck was running ok then I added a used 100 gallon bed tank. I have it tapped into my rear tank. I made a trip from South Florida to Upstate NY. It ran good up and part way back. It started running bad in VA on the way home. I got home and it would barely go down the street. I put a new filter system on the bed tank with shutoff. I drained the rear tank and fuel line. I put fresh fuel in the tank and it still runs rough. I have had 4 injectors replaced and new glow plugs put in, all done within last 6 months. I am pulling my hair out on this. I have owned my truck for 6 years and have never had issues like this before. It has 225k on it. Everything else is in excellent condition. I put 2 new Interstate batteries in it yesterday.

Does anyone have any helpful insite on this problem?
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check the exhaust manifolds for Heat. If one side is hot and the other cold, you may be running on 4clys because the UVCH plug (electrical connections under the Valve Cover to the injectors) has come unplugged.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea, go get a laser temp reader, ck each exhaust manifold port and if some are hot and some aren't those are cylinders not getting fuel, SEARS sells a nice one, but you can grab a cheapy at Harbor Freight. Also, you haven't by any chance used a Fram oil filter on it have you? Have you changed out your underhood fuel filter recently?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Really, just Start the engine and run it for like 30sec. Then just put your hand (you can do this over the tires) on each of the manifolds. If only one side it's firing, it'll be obvious....
Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 AM

thanks. I have a temp gun. I will test it. I had a scanner put on it and it said #2 injector not working properly. Feels like more than just one cylinder tho. I only use motorcraft oil filter 1995. I just put a new fuel filter and cleaned out the housing it did have some junk in it.

Is there any way to purge the injectors? Or do you have to remove them to clean them? I have put in some Diesel Kleen in the tank and ran it. Didnt do anything.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:50 AM

Got the truck back from the shop. It was an injector. All is good now, runs good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.